If I Die, It's Your Fault

"Caddie, I do not trust that seat height level," Janis says, crossing her arms over her chest firmly. Cady just got Janis a new bike that isn't a children's bike for Janis's birthday. At first, Janis was really excited, since she loves riding bikes, but as soon as she realized the seat was supposed to be the same height as the handlebars, she was not on board.

"Jan, it'll be fine! Your toes can still touch the ground, and it's super easy to get on, watch," Cady says, strapping her helmet on and grabbing her handlebars. She gives Janis a reassuring smile, then starts running with her bike, jumping up and onto the seat effortlessly.

Janis stares in awe at the fact Cady trusts herself that much, especially with balance. When it comes to almost anything, Janis has absolutely no sense of balance. She watches as Cady circles back to her, dismounting easily, "See?"

Janis huffs, "Can we at least lower the seat a little?" Janis pleads, staring at the high seat.

"Jay, you already have enough knee problems," Cady says, sighing, "If we lower the seat, you'll make them worse."

"Fine! But if I die, it's your fault," Janis groans, giving in, "Either from a cracked skull or humiliation."

Cady lets out a small laugh, "I'll pay for your hospital bills and therapy sessions, don't worry."

It takes a couple hours, but Janis has finally gotten the hang of mounting the bike without falling immediately after getting on or just flat-out giving up. At first Janis didn't want to, but Cady convinced her that riding in the street was easier and bikes have the right of way, so Janis and Cady were now riding side by side on the road, the wind blowing their hair back out of their faces.

Janis briefly turns to look at Cady, admiring her natural beauty and Janis wonders to her self how she got so lucky. Cady gives her a brief glance as well, smiling back at her before sheer panic sets into her eyes, "Janis, look out for the-" and that's all Cady can get out before Janis hits a pot hole dead on, her tire getting stuck and launching her forward and off of her bike, hitting the pavement hard.

Cady hits the breaks on her bike, throwing it to the side as she runs up to Janis, curled up in a ball on the hard road, Janis cradling her wrist and moaning in pain. Cady starts breathing heavily, "Oh my god, Jan, are you okay?" Cady asks, knowing it's a stupid question.

"Doin' just fine, thanks for asking," Janis snaps, her voice dripping with sarcasm and pain. She's covered in scratches, especially on her face and arms. Janis's favorite pair of tights are ripped to pieces, especially in the knee area.

Cady takes one glance at Janis's knees and immediately starts crying, reaching for her phone to call 911. Janis's knees are ripped to shreds, blood flowing freely out of them. There's tiny pebbles sticking to the open wound, along with dirt, twigs, and a couple of dried up leaves.

"911, what's your emergency?" the voice says over the line.

"M- my name is Cady Heron, I'm on the corner of Chestnut street and Plainfield road. My f- friend and I were riding o- our bikes and she hit a p- pot hole really, really hard, and she got launched off of h- her bike, and she hit the g- ground really hard, and I think her wrist is broken," Cady explains, taking Janis's head in her lap, "she might have a concussion."

"Okay, Cady. Stay on the phone with me, okay? The paramedics will be there in ten minutes. Just keep her awake, keep her occupied. She's gonna be okay," the female voice on the other side of the line says, attempting to make Cady less hysterical and distressed. Cady nods, even though the woman on the line can't see her.