Chapter 8

Damien glanced at his watch and saw that it was almost exactly ten o'clock. He managed to run fast enough all the way across town, to Anna's house from where he was at delivering hurt on a client of his fellow vampire, Xavier.

 He had no idea that Xavier was a loan shark, and that he preyed on innocent families like that. He shook his head and approached the porch of Anna's house. He saw an old door knocker that rested its golden beauty on the deep red wood that made the door. He admired it a moment and then picked the knocker part up and then tapped it a few times, to herald to Anna that he was there.

     Anna heard the knock at the door and she rushed to shove the cleaning supplies she had been working with back into the kitchen closet. She wheeled the vacuum back into the hall closet and then brushed down her skirt and hair before she walked casually to the door. 

Anna had been spending most of the afternoon cleaning the house. She was sure to dust, vacuum and washes a large pile of dishes she left in the sink. She had taken part of her cleaning time, to take a shower and dress nicely before Damien arrived. She found a frozen lasagna dinner in the freezer and she followed the directions and put it into the oven to cook. She didn't know if they'd eat….it was a bit late for dinner…but she wanted to make a good impression. 

     Anna gave the living room one last look before she opened the door to see Damien waiting for her on the other side. 

"Good evening." He said with a smile. 

She smiled shyly and then she stepped back and let him in. "Evening." She responded and then watched him.

 When he had stepped inside, she closed the door. "I know you said not to clean, but I had to anyway. My mom would have a cow if I left it a mess. I also have lasagna in the oven. I don't know if you'd eat human food…but I'm preparing it anyway." She said nervously. 

She stood there a moment with him in the living room. "Oh!' she exclaimed. "Please sit down….forgive me for being so rude." she said apologetically. She gestured to the couch. 

He nodded and sat down gently onto the cushion. "No need to be nervous." He assured her. He gestured for her to sit down next to him. "The food smells great, and I'd love to share a meal with you." He said. 

She nodded and bit her lip. "Oh….would you like something to drink? Water, or maybe a soda or something?" she asked as she stuck her thumbnail into her mouth and began nibbling on it. 

     Damien laughed at how cute she was acting. "Water is fine." He said. "You don't need to go hostess on me. I'm here to spend time with you, not be entertained like one of your mother’s clients." He said to her as he leaned back and draped his arm across the back of the couch. 

She nodded and went into the kitchen to fetch him the water he asked for. She got a glass down from the cupboard and then filled the clear glass with filtered water from the door of the fridge. She returned with the water and a Coke in a can for herself. She handed him the water before she sat down next to him. He turned to face her.

 "Thank you." He said and then sipped the water slowly. She cracked her can open and took a small sip. "So, how was your day, besides cleaning the house all day?" He asked as he placed the glass of water on a nearby coaster that rested on the surface of the coffee table about a foot and a half away.

 He then laced his fingers together and rested then on his lap. She placed her Coke down onto another coaster and then placed her hands into her lap. "Well…after you and I talked last night, I went to sleep. I woke up, had breakfast and then cleaned. The house really needed it. My mother had told me to always keep the house clean while she was away, but I was pissed off at her and refused to clean. I let the dusting, the laundry the dishes…all go. But I punished myself instead because I ended up cleaning a way bigger mess." She said shaking her head and then looking at him. "How was your day?" she asked. "Do you sleep all day in a coffin, or is that a myth too?" she asked.

 He listened to her talk about her day, and then he closed his eyes as she asked her question. "I do sleep during the day." He said. "And it is in a coffin. But it's not one of those ones you see vampires sleep in, in movies. Ours are just like the ones your deceased rest in when they die." He explained. 

She nodded. "That sounds interesting. I wish I could come see your house." She mused.

 Damien shook his head sadly. "No, that'd be tempting fate definitely." He said with a sigh. "All three of them detest interaction with humans besides using them as food. I was warned by Sethander not to, but I don't care what he says at the moment. I like spending time with you, and so spend time with you I shall!" he exclaimed.

     A few moments later, the timer on the oven dinged. It meant that the lasagna was done, and needed to be pulled out of the oven. "The food is done. Follow me with your water and then we can eat." She said standing up.

 She grabbed her Coke and then headed into the kitchen. Damien followed with his water. She told him to sit at the table while she dished up the food. She took it from the oven and cut a square for both of them, using a spatula. She brought over the two plates, along with two forks. She sat down across from Damien and began to slowly eat. 

     After they ate, they returned to the living room to talk more. Anna looked at him. "Do…you want to see my room?" she offered, since she was running out of things to talk about. "It's upstairs." She pointed upward.

 He smiled. "Sure thing." He said and then he followed.

 She opened the door to her room, to reveal a bunch of posters and odds and ends that a normal person probably wouldn't have in her room. He noticed a picture with the 'twins' from the Gemini upon it. He looked at her.

 "The sign of the twins. Is that your zodiac sign?" he asked. 

She looked at him. "Yeah." She said and nodded. "Born in June." She told him. "What about you? Do you remember what day you were born?" she asked.

 His brow furrowed in thought, but he couldn't seem to come up with the date." No. It's been so long ago. I do not remember what day I was born." He frowned. "I guess it doesn't really matter." He said a bit sadly.

 "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you sad." Anna said with sadness in her own voice. 

He shook his head. "It's alright." He smiled. 

    Anna led him over to the window, to see the stars, but frowned when a bunch of dark clouds had rolled in. "It looks like rain." Damien commented. "I hope it doesn't rain when I'm heading home." He frowned.

 "Vampires don't get sick do they?" Anna asked a bit surprised he disliked the rain. 

He shook his head "No, that's not the reason. I just don't like being soggy wet when I get caught in the rain." He then laughed. "It's not pleasant that's all." He said.

      He would glance at his watch now and again. When it was close to one A.M, he looked at her. "It's getting late, and it does look like rain soon…I should go. I can't see you tomorrow, since I need to go somewhere with Sethander. We're going out of town. All four of us are attending some large Vampire council meeting and all Vampire need to attend. I can come see you after though." He said. 

Anna seemed a bit sad that she wouldn't see him tomorrow, but understood. "I'll see you in a few days then." She and mustered a smile. 

He nodded. "Yes, you will." He said.

 She led him to the door and opened it for him. On impulse, before Damien headed outside, he leaned down and planted a cool, quick kiss onto Anna's warm lips. He smiled and then headed out into the darkness.

 Anna was shocked. Her hand flew to her mouth and she touched her lips. She had never been kissed before, but she was sort of glad that her first kiss was given to her by Damien.