Chapter 9

Damien left Anna's house and headed in towards town. He noticed some man dressed in black who was about to rob one of the stores. He frowned at the knowledge that someone was about to try and rob some place, but he decided that this robber would be the source of his meal. He snuck up behind the man who was trying to cut the wires on the security system.

 He grabbed him, and then sunk his fangs into the man's jugular. He took his fill, but didn't kill the man. He did however gave his mind a little 'nudge' on the fact that what he was about to do was wrong, and not worth it. He hoped that the man would take the hint when he woke up. Damien lowered the still living body of the man onto the ground before he headed home.

     Xavier was waiting for him, when he returned to the house. "It took you long enough." He said bitterly. "Where is my money?" He asked. 

He didn't see Damien carrying an envelope which made him angry. Damien reached into his pocket and pulled out the same amount of money that was in the envelope. 

"Here" He said and he slapped the bills into the other vampires' hand. "They were a bit short." He explained. "But it's what they could give at the moment." 

     Xavier was livid. "You didn't get this from them. You're handing me your own money." He said and threw it all back at Damien. "That's not what I told you to do. I told you to go to the house and deliver the package…" he began.

 "Yeah a package of rocks." Damien interrupted. "I had no idea you were a shark Xavier. You're robbing those people of their money." He said with a frown. 

"They were stupid enough to ask for a loan, they get what they deserve. I don't let my clients skimp on their debts. They pay themselves, or one by one, he'll start losing his family members." Xavier spat out. 

Damien looked at him sadly and then shook his head. "I knew I should have handled it myself. You're too soft to handle such business as demanding money from people. I should just tell Sethander what I saw and have him put you out. Then I wouldn't have to live with such a pansy." He growled.

 Damien glared. "I did what you said. You got money…shouldn't that just be enough? That's all you care about anyway is the money. I paid their debt, so just leave them alone." He said. "And I did your stupid laundry…so far I've done all that you've asked. Telling Sethander now, will make your little slave go away." He growled back.

    "Tell Sethander what?" Sethander asked as he came down the stairs. His demeanor was calm and collected, but he could be dangerous. 

He came onto the floor and walked over to them. His cool eyes glanced at both of them. His bound blond hair was tied behind his back and cascaded down his back. 

"What are you two fighting about?" he asked as he looked at Damien, who suddenly froze and looked frightened. 

Xavier was livid, and looked like he wanted to kill Damien.

 "Is someone going to answer me?" he asked sternly but not even raising his voice. 

"We were just arguing about something Master." Damien said softly. "Nothing to worry about." He tried assuring him. Damien watched as Sethanders' cool gaze locked onto him. 

"I heard my name mentioned. Meaning it has something to do with me, and something to worry about. Now I would like an answer. I don't care from whom." He said. 

Xavier bared his teeth at Damien for being stupid and no costing him his slave, but at least the alternative would be Damien's demise.

 "Master, I witnessed Damien breaking one of our most important of rules the other night." Xavier started. 

Sethanders' gaze shifted to Xavier. His slender eyebrow rose. "And?" he prompted. "What was this offence that our young vampire executed?" he asked. 

     Xavier gave Damien a smug look and then turned back to Sethander. "I was walking out last night, heading home…when I spotted Damien. Now normally I don't care what the little speck does, but he didn't look like he was out hunting. No, he was walking somewhere specifically. Damien doesn't know anyone else other then me or Eva or you…so I was wondering where he was going." Xavier began his story for Sethander. 

"This story is beginning to bore me Xavier, do get on with it." He said with a stern tone. Xavier nodded. 

"Yes master. "Well anyway…Damien ended up meeting with a human. A human!!" he exclaimed. "And he wasn't there to bite her. He was sitting down and chatting with her like they were friends. He even went so far as to expose his fangs and vampire powers to her. Now if that isn't breaking a bunch of rules right there…I don't know what else would. He should be punished." He said with a final nod. 

Sethander was quiet for a moment. Sethander being quiet and thinking wasn't a good thing. It usually meant he was deciding what bad things he was going to do to someone.

    Damien stood there, ready to face his punishment. He just hoped it wasn't death. Sethander finally turned his gaze to Damien. 

"By the look on your face, I don't even need to ask if all this is true. I just want to know what you thought you were doing. You know the rules and you broke some severe ones. We do not communicate with humans unless it's associated with work, or for biting. Yet, you sat there talking to this girl, and then you expose your vampirism to her." Sethander said coolly. 

"And that's not all. He is still seeing her. Tonight, he went and saw her again!" Xavier pointed out. "It's like he's in love with her or something." He continued.

 Sethander thought about that. "Is that what it is? Are you in love with this mortal?" he asked Damien. "Because falling in love with a human is against the rules as well. Unless you are going to turn her into a vampire, you cannot continue to see her." He said. "I will not harm the human, but you will have to make a choice. Bite her, and make her one of us, or do not ever see her again. If you continue to see her without biting her, I will have to take dire consequences, and destroy the human, with you in the presence of her death. I know you are more sensitive than most vampire, so I know you do not wish to see that." He said.

     Damien had known that part of his punishment would be that he couldn't see Anna anymore. That made him really sad. He refused to bite her, and turn her into a vampire…so he had to do the other option. He would stop seeing Anna, and let her remain safe from being killed by Sethander.

 He looked at Sethander a moment. "Can…can I at least tell her goodbye?" he asked. "When we return from the vampire council…I want to see her long enough to tell her…that I can't see her anymore. She at least deserves that." He said. "Please?" he begged. 

Sethander sighed and looked at him. "Very well Damien. When we return from the council meeting, you can see her long enough to tell her goodbye. I will go with you, to make sure it's brief. And see what it is that was so fascinating about this human that you had to break rules in order to see her." He said. "but first we need to prepare for our journey to the Vampire Council meeting. We will need to travel at night, and use our speed to get there before the sun rises." He said.

 He then turned to Xavier. "By the way." He started. "Since you kept this little discovery to yourself to try and blackmail Damien, you will be my assistant during the meeting. You will carry my books, and keep notes, and do any other grunt work I tell you to do. Blackmailing another vampire, especially one that is a 'brother' by being sired by the same vampire--.results in being punished." He said. "You should have come to me right when you first heard of this." He told him. 

Xavier dropped his head, not thinking he'd be punished at all. "Yes Master." He muttered. Sethander turned to Damien. 

"Your punishment besides telling the girl you won’t see her anymore, is that once we return to the house after the council…you will clean…." He pointed upward. "…the whole top part of the house. It's been far too long since anyone has cleaned it. You will do it by yourself, with no help from anyone. Not that you'd get any help from Xavier and certainly not Eva…" he said as he shook his head. 

Damien nodded. "Yes Master." He said and sighed. At least it wasn't death. Cleaning he could live with.