lonely - 13 x yaz

The console room felt empty without her companions. Silence echoed off the dull orange pillars, rather than chatter. The Doctor was not a stranger to this particular feeling, but still wasn't used to it. She would never get used to it. The feeling was like an ache in her heart, a constant, dull ache that is always there, no matter what; she knew it was always there, no matter what, and it affected her life so, so much. She had a new motivation to explore every nook and cranny of the universe - but no one to do it with.

She was lonely.

See, after a few months of buzz and adventure with her new friends, they'd realised how dangerous it was, and took the smart decision to go home. The Doctor could never make that decision, because the whole universe depended on her not to. It was her duty to protect those in that universe from each other. Not many other people felt that duty, or like the danger of it, she found, and that's why everyone had left.

Yasmin Khan was part of her most recent group of companions. She was wonderful and vibrant, always bringing a new perspective to each and every adventure. The Doctor knew she didn't want to leave. But Yasmin didn't know how to ask to stay.

Yaz was special to her. Since they'd met, they'd established a connection like none other the Doctor had had for a long, long time. The Time Lord was thankful she didn't know how to ask to stay, because she didn't want her to be in danger anymore. She couldn't have another death on her conscience, or have to worry about whether Yaz was okay or not. So she let her go. To have a normal life on Earth. Fulfil her childhood dreams. Like the Doctor never could.

The TARDIS beeped, grabbing the blonde woman out of her poisonous thoughts. She smiled in thanks to her machine, and pulled the lever to send her flying out into space with no particular destination at all. The end of the voyage was signalled by a low rumble. Curious as to where she had landed, the Doctor walked towards the front doors and pulled them open. It revealed a bed. She recognised it.

Yaz.

Shaking her head with tears in her eyes, she retreated back into her capsule and pulled the lever again. The TARDIS beeped in protest, not taking off.

"I can't go in there!" The Doctor whimpered in reply. She beeped again. "Please. I-I can't," She heard a creak from the doors, and looked up to see that they were open. A familiar voice rung in her ears:

"Doctor!" Yasmin Khan ran over. The Time Lord jumped up, embracing Yaz as she ran into her arms. She held her as tight as she could. "Why are you back? I thought you'd gone?"

The Doctor sadly smiled. "I missed you,"

"I missed you too. I know I said I'd get on with my life when you dropped me here... but I really haven't. I've just wanted to be back here,"

She bit her lip. "Yaz? You don't have to say yes because it's dangerous and all... will you come with me?"

"Yes! Of course!"

"Really?!" The Doctor's face lit up, her sad eyes now being full of life. "Right, where to?"

"Wherever she takes us," Yaz grinned, and the Doctor grinned back.

"Alright, next destination: wherever she takes us," She pulled the lever, sending the TARDIS flying into the time vortex, the two women still grinning.