neural balancers - yaz x 13

It had been a long day; the planet they'd been on was dangerous itself, even without Tim Shaw and the laser bots. See, the planet had effects on your brain if you left yourself vulnerable, so to prevent this, they'd put on neural blockers on their temples - but Yaz and the Doctor had to take them off soon after that, to, effectively, save the universe. They were in the TARDIS, and the Ox were wearing their previously owned neural blockers to block the signal that could destroy the Earth.

Yaz felt unattached to the world around her, like her body and mind had been completely separated, and she was left looking at the events unfold helplessly. Sparks spurted from the console as the Ox's eyes shined with a violent red colour. The Doctor was flicking appropriate buttons on the desktop, forcing even more explosions and noises. Yaz still stood still.

Her mind was exposed to any sort of threat that wanted to attack her, and the Doctor was the same, but the Time Lord probably knew how to block that sort of stuff from getting to her, anyway.

It wasn't long before the first wave of pain hit her, causing her to crouch over and grasp her head. She immediately stood back up, as she didn't exactly want to interrupt the saving of the universe because of some headache. It was probably nothing.

There was another shot of pain through her head a couple of minutes later, just seconds before the Ox had finished taking away the effect that Tim Shaw's missile had had on Earth. Yaz was glad it was over, but just as they were saying goodbye, another wave of pain electrified through her body, worse than before. She felt lightheaded and even more unattached from her life. Like she was on autopilot. The surrounding noise was drowned out by her own heavy breathing and her pounding heartbeat - playing it off wasn't an option now. She let out a small groan and grabbed onto a table to stop herself from stumbling too much.

Graham and Ryan retreated into the TARDIS once they'd said their goodbyes, and the Doctor was about to, before she spotted the absence of Yaz:

"Yaz?" Her eyes wandered around the room before landing on the police officer. "Yaz?!" She raised her voice slightly and ran over to the woman, grabbing onto her upper arms.

"Doctor I'm fine-" Yaz didn't give up with acting okay.

"No, you're not, it's the planet, it's having an effect on you and it could be really bad," She stumbled over her words.

 "I'm so stupid, I was caught up in everything else-"

That was the last Yaz heard of her before collapsing into her arms, her pulse weak and her breathing shallow.

When she next woke up, she was lying on a comfortable bed in a dim-lit room. The Doctor was lying next to her, her eyes stuck on Yaz's face, glazed over with tears and emotion.

"Doctor,"

"I'm sorry, I didn't even think, I just let you suffer by yourself, I could survive against the planet but... you can't. I was selfish and left you," The Doctor let a tear drop and looked up at the ceiling.

"It's okay-"

"I thought I was saving my universe by helping the Ox, but I needed to save you," She let more tears fall. "To save my universe, I needed to save you,"

Yaz looked at her with teary eyes. She was in disbelief of the words that had just exited her mouth, and in pain at the sight of her crying.

"Doctor. Come here," Yaz sat up slowly as the Doctor did and wrapped her arms around her. The blonde woman tucked her tear-stained face in the crook of the police officer's neck. "Thank you for saving me. You don't need to be sorry. At all,"

She continued to whimper into her neck, but it slowly calmed down after a few minutes, and she grew quieter. Yaz lifted up the Doctor's chin and looked into her bloodshot eyes.

"You're my universe, too," Yaz flushed red as she spoke and smiled. "Come on," She lifted up the duvet and slid underneath, the alien following behind. The two looked into each other's eyes. The Doctor's usually looked so old, yet so dry of emotion, but now, Yaz found, that barrier against her emotion had fallen. Her eyes now contained thousands of feelings and stories yet to be told; she had let that wall come down for Yaz, and suddenly she was overwhelmed by the intimacy and looked away.

"Yaz?" She dreaded the thought that she had intimidated her companion.

The police officer looked back at the Time Lord, blushed again, and began to lean in slowly. Thankfully, the Doctor did too, and their lips slowly placed themselves on one another. Electricity shot throughout their bodies, and the tension in the brown-haired woman's chest had settled, like everything fell into place - and it felt so right. Their kiss ended soon after, and Yaz gave a small but meaningful smile as the Doctor grinned back. 

"You should rest now, Yaz," She whispered.

"Don't think I can, after that," She used her remaining energy to let out a small chuckle, the other woman returning it.

"I'll stay here with you," Yaz smiled and scooted over to the other woman, draping her arm over her chest and burying her face in her neck.