i see swimming pools - 13xyaz

It was approaching night time fast, the sun creeping further out of view, the colours of the sky flowing from orange to purple to blue quickly. The wind was calm, a slow summer's breeze, the warmth from throughout the day hanging in the air, even through sunset into dark. As the sun gracefully disappeared, stars began to appear, visible as ever without the clouds, like dots in the sky, forming patterns and, what the Doctor would call, art.

The Doctor liked to name a lot of things in nature that made 'art'; she was extremely appreciative of every environment she travelled to and discovered, every planet and even galaxies. She could find beauty in every single thing in the universe. It was one of the things Yasmin Khan had picked up about the blonde woman after travelling with her for five months. Every day she'd found out something new about her, or spot a feature of her body she'd never seen, or a face she'd never made. Every time Yaz thought she knew the Doctor, another story would come up about her past she hadn't heard, and it made Yaz realise how unknown she is, and how much there is to be found out - and if she'd ever find out everything about the Doctor, or leave before she could. Nevertheless, it made every word that came out of the alien's mouth interesting and very important, however useless or nonsensical other people found it to be. The police officer therefore found it disheartening when she stopped herself from rambling on about something unrelated. If she could, she'd stop the Time Lord from ever stopping herself from talking and listen to her for hours, even if it delayed the salvation of many civilisations from danger.

It had been a quiet day in the TARDIS, which was now parked in a rich American neighbourhood she'd randomly chosen to fly to, with all of the companions mainly staying in their rooms and the Doctor fiddling with little bits in the console room. Well, all of the companions except from Yaz. She'd seemed to find herself end up watching the Doctor do her own thing for the majority of the day, and when questioned about her actions, she'd simply dismiss them with the fact that she was 'bored'. But that was an utter lie, because she had a perfect range of other things she really ought to be doing that were not boring, but no, she'd rather stay and watch a cute girl fix things for six hours. Whilst watching her there was an occasional mutter of conversation between the two and often there was a noise coming from the Doctor, either a whisper to herself or a mumble in reaction to a tweak she'd made, however other than that, it was silent of talk. The blonde woman didn't pause to eat or to drink or even go to the toilet (did she ever go to the toilet?), but as the days came to a close, she took more moments to stop to stretch or to take a deep breath, and finally then stopped. When she had stopped, she dusted off her hands and took off her protective goggles, leaving them to rest around her neck, and placed herself beside Yaz whilst she ate her dinner.

"Y'alright?" said the brown haired woman, her mouth full of chips.

"Yeah," said the Doctor, tucking her hair behind her ear before nicking a chip from Yaz's plate. "You?" she smiled as she ate the stolen chip.

"Oi!" she nudged her, yet couldn't refrain from smiling herself. "Whatever, I'll let you off," she sighed. "I'm not bad. How's the TARDIS?"

"You should know, you were watching me all day," she teased, giving a small wink as she took another chip. "it's alright, still a few things I need to tinker with here and there, like the revolving abstraction in the physical entity optical scanner..."

And with that, she was rambling on like she always does, about things Yaz doesn't understand. But she loves listening anyway, and because she didn't have to, she didn't stop her talking. She let her talk about the 'faulty configuration in the polarity of the neural machine' and the 'slightly-off readings in the console apparatus' because she just loved hearing this woman's voice and listening to the wonderful things she had to say. She let her talk for the next five minutes, before the Doctor stopped herself anyway: