witch trial - yaz x thirteen

The crowd were chanting, there lungs bursting for air as they screamed out insults and threw their fists into the air. "Drown the witch!"

Yaz was completely frozen, as were the others. She was paralysed - her eyes fixated on the woman across the river, about to lose her life - and she did nothing. Her mind was screaming at her limbs to just jump but they ignored it, and so Yaz was left to watch helplessly. The fear on the Doctor's face was visible even from the other side of the water.

"This woman will be dunked, and we will be free from her evil!" Becca hurled, and her men forced the wood upwards, leaving the Doctor to come crashing down under the water. Just as she was dropped, she whispered:

"Yaz," It was a goodbye.

And with that, Yaz shook her head, and knew that she wasn't going to let that be her last goodbye; her body dived into the sharp, freezing water and she immediately began to swim over to the blonde woman. Her eyes burnt like hell, but she continued until she could see the Doctor's figure. She frantically undid the chains as the alien fidgeted and twitched. As soon as she had them undone, she dragged the other woman out of the water and up against the bank. Yaz knew CPR from her police training, and so began to perform it on her (quicker than usual - she remembered that the Doctor had two hearts). Once she got to thirty compressions she pressed her lips against the other's, breathing as hard as she could.

To her relief, the Time Lord began to cough, waking up.

"Doctor," Yaz smiled slightly, panting.

"Yaz," The Doctor blinked her eyes open. "You... You saved my life," Yasmin gulped, before the Doctor took the bold option of leaning in and kissing her. It was like an eruption in Yaz's chest, like there was electricity running through her body and fireworks going off in the background. Just as they pulled back, there was an explosion of noise from behind them - the crowd.

"Shit, sorry," The blonde woman began. "Didn't really think about how they're going to react to two women kissing," She shrugged her shoulders and lifted herself off of the ground. "Let's go, eh?" The police took the other woman's hand and they ran away from the guards, grinning like mad.