sixty three

jimin's birthday party pt. 2

after apologizing and hugging it out awkwardly, then being teased afterwards by halmoni park about dating taehyung, jungkook surprisingly felt his spirits rising during the rest of the party.

he hung out a little with sooyoung, who then mysteriously disappeared after receiving a text. he found her shortly afterwards with a man whom he recognized.

"sungjae? what are you doing here?"

both of them turned abruptly, sooyoung frowned.

"wait, how do you know him?"

"he's my manager." he piped, then glaring at her. "so he's your new caffeine slave?"

"caffeine slave?"

"aha," sooyoung mustered a laugh, tugging on jungkook's arm. "could i y'all to you for a sec?"

"uhm ooka—"

"we'll be right back." she called to the older boy, yanking them out of sight.

"listen! i don't need you embarrassing me in front of him."

"what? now that's impossible, you know that's what i—" suddenly processing her words, he smirked wide.

"oh? so, he's that someone else. you're so lucky taehyung is busy dealing with all his shit, he would not let this go."

"yes, i know, which is why you're going to keep your little mouth shut about this. i'll tell him when he's not so emotional about everything. for now, i just want to keep what i'm trying to get between me and him. okay?"

"geez mom. a simple 'fuck off' would've sufficed."

"it's not like you would have listened." she sighed. "oh and give seulgi something to drink. she's so awkward around joohyun it's sad."

"i did, and i'm pretty sure she went and dumped it in one of jimin's plants."

"well," she frowned. "then something's up. i'll have to talk to her later. but for now i have something to get back too. don't you have a girlfriend or something? where is lisa?"

"uh, i don't know. i was with taehyung before, i can't really find anyone i know here except for dahyun who is like everywhere."

"tell me about it. but do go find her. don't be a shitty boyfriend."

"i'm working on it!" he whined, leaving her to find his way back to the kitchen.

red solo cups were littered like confetti, he picked a clean cup from the cabinets, filling it with soda. satisfied with its fizzing feeling, he turned.

wait, why was eunji here?

he wanted to go talk to her, ask her why she was here...he couldn't though.

he awkwardly looked away, a small pang of guilt that he even thought of that. but her eyes lit up after glancing up on him.

she was about to speak, about to call for him, when jungkook finally spotted.

she had seen everything, though nothing really had happened to the eye. she knew what he was thinking, and he could sense it when she pushed off from the wall, trying to get away.

"lisa!"

he didn't spare eunji a glance, impulsively running after the frustrated girl.

he caught her shoulder, turning her around. they were in jimin's parents' office room. lisa sighed, crossing her arms.

"listen i'm sorr—"

"it's not you!" she yelled. "it's me!"

"what? lisa, what're you saying?"

"everything just always seems to be my fault! i never meet people's expectations," This was the first time he saw her upset, she kept babbling her words which he couldn't understand clearly through her tears.

"lis, what's wrong?"

"i want to say nothing, but i can't. it seems like i'm the only one out of all us that really has it going on, i'm perfectly fine! i can hear it when people talk about me. they act as if i'm some privileged little Barbie doll who gets everything handed to her!" she rested her head on his chest.

"my parents are fighting. they have always been fighting, there hasn't been a single night where i could just sleep peacefully and not worry about my family being torn apart, but...they're fighting about me. i can sense it jungkook, i don't know why! what have i done that's causing them to fight? i didn't do anything! i don't want my family to split!"

"why didn't you tell anyone?"

"people just assume, it's your ordinary potential divorce scenario—it's not! i didn't think this would be happening to me, my family. knowing that i can't do anything to stop them from fighting, it just hurts so much."

he wrapped his arms around lisa, sighing into her neck.

"i don't really know what to say that would make you feel better but—"

"you don't have to." she mumbled. "this is more than enough."

so when jungkook brushed away the tears from her eyes, and leaned in to kiss in her in which was probably the first time ever,

she didn't stop him.