11 - pretty girl

Elise Halder
————

I don't know what to say to his confession, so I do what I always do.

"Sorry?" It comes out as a question and I wince.

Luke sighs and takes a seat on the couch near the middle of the room. "You've got to stop doing that, Elise. There's nothing to be sorry for," he's right, but I can't help but feel like I've done something wrong.

He sounds a bit pained when he speaks. "Come here." He beckons me over with his hand.

I move from my position at the shelf to take a hesitant seat on the couch next to him. I sit with my legs crossed, facing him, and watch as he turns his body slightly so he's looking at me straight on. He doesn't say anything, just scans my face, but I have so many questions.

"I didn't realize you could sing," I say quietly and he grins.

"Only on occasion, I'm not very good," I give him an incredulous look and his grin widens. "What?" He cocks his head to the side.

I shake my head. "Luke, I- you're really good," I don't even try to hide it, because the man's voice still gives me chills. "It's unfair, really." I mumble the last part.

His grin becomes a faint smirk and I watch with a dry throat as he runs his tongue along his lower lip before taking it between his teeth. "You liked it, then?"

"Loved it."

"I'll keep that in mind," he raises an eyebrow. "I take it you're not mad at me anymore?" I hear a bit of amusement in his voice.

I groan quietly and fall back onto the couch. The last thing I want to discuss is my childish behavior from earlier. And I especially don't want to have to explain why I was so upset in the first place.

"I told you, I wasn't mad at you. I was just frustrated," I grumble, staring at the ceiling.

I feel him shift slightly and place a firm hand on the spot above my knee. I stay still.

"Look at me, Lis," He pleads and I sit back up slowly. His brows are furrowed and I can tell he isn't going to let this go. "Why were you frustrated?" The pad of his thumb moves gently across the jean material covering my leg.

I look away, because there's no way in hell I'm answering that. "I don't know." I bite the corner of my lip nervously.

He scoots closer to me and I suck in a breath when his hand reaches up to hold my jaw and gently turn my head to face him. His thumb pulls slightly on my lower lip to pull it out from my teeth and I leave it parted as I look at him.

He doesn't remove his hand and his eyes flick back up to my eyes when he speaks. "Yes you do, it's because of me. Tell me why, Lis," His voice is gentle and my heart is pounding at our closeness.

"You confuse me." I say and he frowns.

"I do?" I nod in response. He looks genuinely confused by my admission and pulls back to shake his head. My heart sinks at the removal of his touch and I realize he must be thinking I'm crazy.

Nice one, Lisi, now he really thinks you're annoying.

I stand up abruptly because I can't take the tension and the embarrassment. "I-I just need a minute-" his head snaps up to mine and he looks even more confused but I'm already turning away and making my way down the hallway in search of a bathroom.

At least, I had planned on looking for a bathroom to calm myself down in, but I get distracted when I pass Luke's bedroom and my curiosity leads me inside.