28 - revenge mission

Cassie Lavera
————

Michael Clifford is an idiot.

"Maybe her dad sent them?"

I send him a glare, watching as the boy raises his arms in surrender, eyes widened as he refuses to make eye contact with me. He looks similar to that of a scolded child, which is good, considering that's what I'd been aiming for.

"Maybe it was Luke?"

Ashton Irwin is also an idiot, apparently.

I turn away from Michael - and I swear I see him let out a breath of relief at the loss of attention - to look at the shaggy haired boy with narrowed eyes. He has a noticeable wince on his face, eyes shifting every which way.

"You fuckwits, it was him. For sure."

Calum Hood, in a strange turn of events, is not an idiot.

I look away from the wonder twins to glance back at Calum, about ready to praise the boy for having more than 2 brain cells.

His brows are furrowed and he looks angry, too. He's a little bit confused, but mostly frustrated. I should've expected it, because out of everyone, Calum has the absolute least trust in the boy of question. He doesn't bother with second chances and benefit of the doubt; not when the first offense is so severe.

And I have to say, in this moment, Calum is looking like Albert fucking Einstein compared to Dumb and Dumber on the other side of the room.

But I'm also a bit angry, and I tend to let my anger do most of the talking.

"Thank you!" It's all sarcasm as my arms flail in the air for a moment before I snap them back against my sides. "I'm glad someone here is thinking logically."

"But we don't really know for sure-"

"Mate."

I've never been more grateful for Calum, in this moment, because if he hadn't stopped Michael with his words I might've had to stop him with my hand.

"Look," I start, irritated and directing it all at Ashton and Michael. "It's from him. No doubt about it. I know you both can't be that fucking stupid."

"But why?" Michael looks at me, shaking his head like it just isn't quite adding up. "He's never done it like this."

"Because he's an ass-"

"I still think it was Luke."

It's like they want me to yell at them.

"Ashton?"

"Yeah?"

"You're a fucking dumbass."

He rolls his eyes and I sit with my arms crossed as he clears his throat, looking like he's about to start explaining himself. I can only just hold my tongue and let him, because Ash has always been the type to say what's on his mind.

"Hear me out, okay?" I blink at him, waiting impatiently for him to explain his nonsense. "Think about it, she probably never told Luke about Cade's little birthday tradition-"

"Wrong. I called him up when she got upset about it."

Ashton looks at me in exasperation, likely irritated that I couldn't go 30 seconds without interrupting his ramblings, despite how wrong I thought them to be.

"Hush, I know that. She probably told him about her birthday, but I hardly picture her going into detail."

"Honestly, me either." Michael pipes up, hesitantly. "They probably got too handsy before she could get to that."