23 - bad memories

Elise Halder
————

I can't remember the last time I was excited for my birthday.

The past couple months, being here, had been so eventful, and so unexpected, that I hadn't even allowed myself a moment to process the approaching day. Everything is just a bit different now, being at a University, and living essentially on my own, with the exception of Cassie. And for the first time in years, I found myself completely distracted to the point that the day was in under a week, and I hadn't even realized.

Although, as much as I'd like to keep pretending it's solely because I've been away from home, I can't ignore the tall, blonde, blue eyed mess of a distraction that has kept my mind occupied.

Luke has had a way of invading my thoughts, even at the most random of times.

Every time I leave him, I spend the majority of my time alone replaying his words and rethinking his movements. It's rather impossible not to, for Luke's mannerisms are far too intentional and perfected to overlook. There's something about the way he speaks, particularly to me, that makes my head spin, even at the simplest of words.

And the most frustrating part is that he does it with ease. Almost nonchalantly.

But, I know Luke, and I know that he's well aware of the effect he has on me, as much as he tries his hardest to appear innocent. It's when we're alone, away from any prying eyes, that I have trouble thinking of anything else, and Luke has trouble keeping his hands off of me.

Not that I'm complaining. Because I'm definitely not complaining.

"Come on, Lis, just a couple more." He gave me a pleading look and I groaned.

"I can't," I whined, throwing my head down into my arm on his desk. "Luke, if I have to provide commentary on one more article, I'm seriously going to die."

"Bit dramatic, are we?"

"No. I'm serious."

Luke chuckled, and I was aware of him standing up from his side of the desk to make his way over to me. I kept my face in my arm as he crouched down to my seat, placing warm hands on the tops of my knees.

"You won't die, I promise I wouldn't let you," I could hear the smile in his words. "Now, come on, do these last few,"

"No." I mumbled inaudibly into my arm.

"For me?"

I picked my head up to glare at him, seeing his perfect face in a slight pout, his head cocked to the side.

"No. I hate you." I narrowed my eyes at him, willing myself to not fall for his adorable charm, although both of us knew I wouldn't last.

Luke grinned, his hands running gently up my legs. "I don't think you do," his smug tone and taunting fingers sent shivers through me. "In fact, I think you quite like me," his hands trailed up and down my thighs and I narrowed my eyes even further, trying to keep up the facade.

"But that's okay, because I like you quite a lot, too."

I'm sure he could see the way my breathing had betrayed me, suddenly going at a much faster rate as I let out a huff of breath.

"Don't you dare." I glared as he let his fingers dance dangerously high.

Luke smiled, knowing fully well that he's already won. "I haven't done anything, babe, not yet," I was about to protest, because he was doing a lot, when he stood suddenly, removing his touch.

"Up." He held out a hand for me to take.

I looked at him in confusion and he raised an eyebrow at me. "Either you stand up or I pick you up."