31 - prove it

Elise Halder
————

Luke looks tired, disheveled even, as he leans against the counter in his kitchen, watching me sip nervously from a glass of water.

I'd like to say I'm not sure why I'm feeling nervous in the first place, but that would be a blatant lie. It has something to do with the fact that I just cried, for the second time in front of this man, over the same pathetic excuse for a human boy. That, and the fact that even as Luke leans lazily, arms crossed and body clearly tired, he still looks at me like I might be the most important thing in this world.

I've been reading too many romance novels, I think.

I fidget with the glass, using it as a safety net to keep myself from discussing today's earlier events, before setting it down on the counter nearest me. Luke watches the movement, not yet saying anything, as I turn away, eyes looking up to observe the rows of black cabinets above me, in an effort to avoid the tension.

I hear a sigh, and the sound of Luke undoubtedly pushing himself off the counter, before I feel two hands spin me back around. His hands brush along my sides as I look up at him, noticing the way his brows are furrowed slightly. In a second he's hoisting me up, hands on my waist, to place me gently on the countertop behind me, finding his place between my legs.

His hands hold me firmly as my lips part, a little shocked at the action and the burning way he's looking at me. "Thirst quenched, now?" He tilts his head to the side.

I laugh a little, bubbles of nerves fading as I remember the first request I made the second we stepped through the door. "Are you making fun of me?"

"Never," He gives me a half grin and a squeeze to my sides. "I'm nothing but genuine."

"Good," I purse my lips. "Because I ran a lot today, and that deserves some water."

He raises a brow. "You did, didn't you?"

I nod, sighing as I remember why I'd been so active today. "I'm sor—"

"Don't," Luke cuts me off, shaking his head. "Don't do that. I've told you before I don't want you apologizing like that."

I frown, bringing my hands hesitantly to the back of his neck. "But I am—"

He cuts me off with his lips, pecking them quickly in a way that makes my stomach flip, before pulling back the tiniest bit to speak against them. "What did I just say?"

My lips part as his brush against my own, softly. "But—"

He inches forward, silencing me. "Shh." He mumbles.

"Luke,"

He presses his lips to mine once more, slowly chipping away at my conviction. "Baby, I can do this all day."

I blush as I pull back, trying desperately to contain a smile. "You're cheesy."

He grins, much too beautifully for my poor heart. "And you're cute," he leans in, keeping his lips just barely grazing my own. "And I like kissing you."

I raise a brow, my heart beating annoyingly fast as a stupid grin of my own escapes. "Do you?"

He nods, teeth gently biting down on his lower lip as his hands rub slowly down the jean material covering my thighs. I let my fingers toy with the hair behind his neck, feeling way too content in this moment, despite all that's happened. I glance down at his lips, which are distractingly soft and unbelievably pink, before meeting his eyes. "Prove it." I whisper.

Luke only grins and pauses the movement of his hands, looking at me intently for a moment, scanning my face in a way that makes me hold my breath. I don't have to hold it for long, though, because Luke leans in, tightening the grip on my thighs to tug me closer as he places his lips on my own.