33 - say it

Elise Halder
————

You'd think that after nearly 19 years of being alive, I'd have learned by now to trust my gut.

And hours ago, when Ashton suggested we have a 'do-over night', I immediately got a bad feeling, along with mounds of negativity. I knew, somewhere deep in my gut, that I was better off staying home.

But I'm not home. I'm out, again, I can only come to the conclusion that I must be simply dumb.

"Boob alert, Lisi."

My hands immediately fly to my chest, grumbling as I yank up the black strapless top that refuses to stay put. It's tight enough, sure, but unless you're an 11 year old boy, it's a bit difficult to stay modest. Especially when you aren't wearing a bra, due to the fact that it would 'ruin the outfit', or so Cassie says.

"I didn't realize it was your turn to be the boob monitor." I mumble, glancing at a grinning Michael Clifford.

"Yeah, well, Cass had Cal on duty last week, and Ashton always forgets, so you're stuck with me." He nudges me with his elbow and I roll my eyes, giving Cassie a look.

She only waves me away. "Oh, be grateful. Your tits would've been out to play by now if I didn't put him on watch."

I sigh, knowing fully well that she's probably right. "If you didn't force me into this shirt we wouldn't have an issue at all."

"First of all, I picked that shirt out," Calum points out, tugging a slightly inebriated Ashton behind him. "And second of all, you look hot, so someone better give me a thank you—"

"—thanks Cal-ey,"

Calum sighs and puts hand on Ashton's shoulder, who's grinning proudly at his quick words. "Not you, buddy." He speaks slowly.

Ashton frowns, crossing his arms as he looks at Calum expectantly. I stifle a giggle at the exchange, watching in amusement as Cal runs a hand down his face in exasperation at the drunk boy. "Oh my god, you're not actually waiting for me to—"

Ashton nods, looking every bit serious.

"Fine, fuck," Calum gives in. "You're welcome."

It seems to satisfy Ashton's drunken needs, as he smiles brightly enough for Calum to turn back to me, expectantly. "Your turn."

I roll my eyes, containing a grin as I give him a pat on the side of his shoulder. "I'll thank you at the end of the night," he quirks an eyebrow up. "If—and only if—I haven't flashed anyone by then."

He debates it for a moment, looking thoughtful. "That's fair."

Cassie snorts. "Good thing Luke isn't here then."

I give her a look, walking with the group as we make our way into the rather crowded living room area of the frat. It looks different in here, since the first time Luke had brought me here. There's people here, for one, and multicolored lights are the only source of sight we have. I hadn't known we would be coming here, until just hours prior, and I wrestled on whether I should let Luke know or not.

I decided against it, because I didn't want him to worry and I was also a bit wary as to how he might react. Now, though, I wish I had, because I'm almost certain he would've came with us, despite the fact that he'd turned down the offer to join.

Something about Luke's past in this place told me he likely wouldn't have wanted me here alone, and I'll admit that I feel a little odd being here without him.

"Are you insinuating that I would flash Luke, deliberately?"

Cassie grins, giving me a look of her own. "Are you denying it?"