37 - ruin everything

Elise Halder
————

I've come to realize that whatever Luke says, he means.

For instance, when he said he'd 'take care of me' in the morning, I mistakingly took that as an empty promise; something to soothe whatever ache I may have had for the time being. But I should've realized, as he has proved time and time again, that he's hardly every kidding when it comes to those things.

He wouldn't even let me walk. Although, that may have been partially my fault, considering the wince I couldn't hide from my face when I stretched out lazily in the late morning. His demeanor changed in an instant, from his lazy and content smiles—borderline cocky, even—to worrisome and apologetic. But somewhere in there, I still felt the remnants of his cockiness, even as whispered he was sorry between soft kisses all around my face.

But the smugness was well earned, to be quite frank, so I let him have it.

I had thought the gentle lips on my skin and the whispered apologies were more than enough, considering I felt very good, even with the noticeable soreness of my thighs, but Luke had other plans. And I've come to like his plans quite a lot.

"I'm sorry."

I could feel his breath on my neck as he whispered the words, lips hovering over the skin with his hands laced with mine on the bed.

I groaned softly. "Stop saying that."

"I can't help it." he pressed his lips down, trailing them up to the corner of my jaw.

"Well, try." I breathed.

"No." he surprised me by saying, lips still treading across every part of my neck.

"Luke," I groaned. "Please, I'm fine."

"Don't believe you," he murmured, placing a final kiss to my collarbone before raising his head to mine. "Sorry, baby."

I frowned. "Stop it."

"No."

"Luke," I gave him a look, pleading almost. "Why?"

And then he did this thing, this beautifully awful thing, where he pouted. His lower lip jutted out, just the slightest bit past his upper lip, and his eyes were soft and bright. He looked so painfully adorable I almost had to look away, though I was furious at the realization he could get me to do just about anything with that look on his face.

It really wasn't fair.

"I really, really didn't want to hurt you," he started. "I hate the thought of causing you any pain, pretty girl." His pout was still visible, brows pulled together as he spoke the sincere words, no matter the fact that I wasn't even in any real pain. And even if I was, I would've never blamed him.

I gave him a small smile, removing one of my hands from his to reach up and run my fingers down the side of his face. "You've got it all wrong, I feel good. Amazing, actually."

I saw his brow raise the smallest bit, still not abandoning the pout that continued to make my stomach flip. "Do you?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "I promise."

He pondered this for a moment, lips slightly pursed as he scanned my face for what I assumed was uncertainty. I had thought that would be the end of it, but I should've known not to underestimate Luke. He ducked his head down, lips hovering by my ear as he removed my hand from his face, his other hand snaked around my back.

"I still don't believe you."

Before I could protest he was lifting me up, hand pressed against my back as he sat up off the bed, bringing me with him in his arms.