EP 31: GREASE

Episode 31: Grease

Episode 31: Grease

Gripping the edge of the sink, I stared at myself in the mirror. This was exhausting -- passing him by the corridors without hugging him, kissing him or even punching his arm playfully.

It's been three dreadful days, sleepless nights. Finally I mustered the courage to head over to Alexander's room. Knocking on his door, I twindled my fingers nervously.

" Oh hey Gab," I mentally cursed, his nickname for me wasn't helping the situation.

" yo yo yo Alexander, so urm...you wanna drop by the diner, mom isn't cooking dinner today.."

I tried, I really did try to sound cool or even sound the least bothered but I became the best cringe self I could be.

He chuckled, and without leaving my eyes he nodded. " Yeah, I'll like that actually."

I wnated to fist pump the air, maybe even dance around a bit but that would just creep Alexander out.
Alexander drove us to the diner, I chose not to ride his motorcycle anymore.

" This diner looks kind of familiar..." his words piqued my interest. This was my chance, maybe I had to just redo the things we did together.

"Here we are!" I pushed the doors of diner open, just like I did the first time we were here.

" Damn Gabriel, I like your taste!" Alexander nodded with a grin,
" Classic Vintage Jukebox, it's been long since I saw one of those." He admired the surroundings.

I froze in my steps when it was the exact phrase he told me the first time we were here.

I led him to the long-sitdown counters, swirling about in the tall stools. I wanted to reach forward and hold his hand, feel his skin against mine but I knew that won't be happening anytime soon.

"Gabriel, my boy!" Uncle Cyrus calls out as usual.

" Hey Uncle Cyrus!" I looked up to come upon his chubby cheeks and dimpled smile.

" Ahh you brought Alexander back here again! I'm heard from your mom tha---" my eyes widened and I interrupted Uncle Cyrus.

" That's for another time Uncle Cyrus.." I laughed awkwardly while Alexander was glancing back and forth in confusion.

Uncle Cyrus sensed my uneasiness and decided to get our orders before rushing off.

I could feel Alexander's eyes on me. I took gulp of my milkshake, it was the only to avoid eye contact.

" Gabriel, what was Uncle Cyrus talking about?" Out of instinct, I turned to face him.

" Oh don't listen to him, he mixes up people's names and faces all the time an---" I rambled off but stopped mid-sentence when Alexander leaned forward and wiped the whip cream from the corner of my mouth with his thumb.

It took a while for him to realise his outburst of actions, it surprised me as much as it surprised him.
" Erm...sorry if that seemed too forward, I don't know what came over me." He scratched the back of his neck nervously while I was bubbling with happiness.

He was feeling this attraction between us already. I was one step closer to him remembering me.

Giving him a knowing smile, a took a deep breath. As much as this was a fear for me, I'm willing to do it for him.

" Do you wanna dance?" His eyebrows etched together.

" Here? Is it coincidental that I was thinking the same thing?" Alexander laughed before I tugged him towards the jukebox.

Nope, its not coincidental because the old Alexander did the exact same thing, I mentally thought to myself.

Pushing a penny into the machine, Alexander jumped ahead and clicked the song choice.

The exact same song, he definitely has an obsession with Grease --- You're The One I Want from Grease began playing.

Alexander grabbed a spoon by the corner and began mouthing the words as he imitated the actors in Grease, his face held dramatic expressions while I stood on the table with singing the lyrics with my hands in the air.

I got chills
They're multiplying
And I'm losing control
Cause the power you're supplying
It's electrifying!

I pulled him up onto the table, and we were lost in the rhythm. Uncle Cyrus flipped pancakes while dancing around, the diner was alive.

That's what Alexander did, he could bring anything to live --- a crowd of diners, his friends...he could even bring life to my heart.

As it was coming to the end of the song, Alexander suddenly got off the table, his fingers pinching his temple in pain.

He gripped the table to prevent himself from swaying any further.
Without secind thought, I git to his sode and pulled his arm over my shoulder.

" Alexander, open your eyes, are you alright?" I asked frantically, bringing him to sit down in the nearest cubicle.

" I-I..Gab-riel..." he muttered softly as though he was in a trace.

" Don't worry I'm here, I'm not leaving." I leaned his head against my shoulder, whispering soothing things into his ear.

Uncle Cyrus came running towards us with a glass of water.
" Is he alright Gabriel? Here take some." I nodded with a small smile, the last thing I need is Uncle Cyrus to have a heart attack from all the worry.

In an instant, Alexander pushed me away and stood up abruptly. His eyes searched the place in panic, before it landed on me. Alexander took a step and sprinted out of the diner.

Without waiting for another second, I dashed after him. I was clearly puzzled by his actions, I tried to reason that it was probably the state of distraught that he was in.

" Xander..." I unknowingly let his nickname slip when I spotted him behind the diner.

He stared at me with hooded eyes, weighing his words.

" What is going on Gab..." he asked softly, as though he was finally defeated.

He continued, walking closer to me at the same time. " Why do I get these flashbacks?! The feeling like I was here before but yet I have no clue where I am? Why do I get snapshots of your face in my mind in all my dreams?! Gabriel, explain this to me because I feel you know more than I do." He ended his last phrase just inches away from me.

I swallowed hard, real hard.
" I want to bring you somewhere, and I promise... I'll answer all your questions." I took his hand in mine.