Chapter 26

My thoughts were all over the place, and the confusion prevented me from taking advantage of the comfort first class provided. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't sleep. I was still stuck on London time, even though it was afternoon in LA and the sun was shining, my brain wouldn't shut off anyway.

Who says they're going to miss someone because they're spending twelve hours apart, especially after only a couple of weeks of being together? Apparently I do. Idiot!

Did he ignore it on purpose? Or did he give to much thought? I was going to lose it if I didn't stop thinking about this shit. As soon as we landed, I picked up my phone and debated whether I should text him or not. I decided to write a simple message, that in my head, didn't mean much, but I knew perfectly well, I'd be waiting a while for his reply.

We went through customs smoothly, and God bless Luke and his wealth, there was already a car waiting for us. The driver stopped at my house before taking Luke to his. Luke grew up in Calabasas, and felt no need to take up residence in LA. "Why should I pay for a more expensive zip code if Calabasas is at a perfect distance between LA and Malibu?" He'd say proudly. So, when I moved to California, I made his town my home.

After I showered and slipped into my pajamas I decided to try to sleep. I was tired, and there was also the fact that if I were sleeping, I wouldn't be waiting for Jared's reply when he landed. But just like what happened on the plane, my brain fought my body, and I couldn't bring myself to relax.

I tossed and turned under the covers, thinking about him. If only I knew how he took my last words. I also tried to ignore the words Nicole's comments about bonding with Jared. Why was my stomach clenching every time I thought of her keeping him company? Before I could think anymore, my phone lit up with his
text, and after calling him for a quick chat, we hung up. His promise of seeing me soon made me forget how jet lagged, I was, so, I decided to change and wait for him.

Forty-five minutes later I heard a car pull you up and my heart skipped a beat, but then I realized it was most likely Nic. I stuck my head out of my apartment window, and saw her getting out of the car. "Honey, I'm home." She shouted as she pushed the door open, announcing her arrival and making as much noise as she could. Leave it to Nicole to make such a dramatic entrance. She mentioned something about possibly coming to stay with me after London, but she wasn't completely sure if she would or not. I wouldn't have minded if she had gone home, this past week was rough on me. Maybe as time had passed our friendship didn't hold up as well as I thought it did. Maybe I wasn't the same person I used to be and I'd outgrown her over the top bitchiness. It was no secret that Nic was spoiled rotten and she didn't have many friends, probably because she was always competing against them. It was easy for me, because I never looked at it that way. I always treated her as my equal, and assumed she felt the same way, until this past trip.

"You're here! How was your flight?" I said, pulling her into a hug.

"Not exactly what I thought it would be, but you know, fruitful in some ways, I mean I got some sleep."

"Lucky you. I couldn't sleep at all. Ugh, Nic, you're not going to believe what I told Jared." I cover my face with my hand, and she sat down to listen to me.

"I don't know Jen, he's not really the dating type. He's got a dirty reputation and apparently likes feisty blondes. Just look at his history. I wouldn't be putting all of my eggs in one basket if you know what I mean." She had a point and when I frowned, she sighed. "Babe, look, you work for a famous, drop dead sexy actor. You are bound to rub elbows with some famous, very rich Hollywood somebody. Stop looking for the bad boys who only want to play around. You deserve the nice guy who will marry you and treat you like a princess Jen."

"Maybe you're right."

"Of course I am. I have got to shower, I hate being in the same outfit for too long." She got up and dragged her bag down the hallway to the guest room. I heard the water running in the shower and I sat there, staring out the window, actually waiting for him to show up. The thought crossed my mind that maybe Nic was right, or maybe I was being a little too clingy, but I quickly pushed it from my mind. He was just so different yesterday. It seemed so genuine and I didn't want to believe he was faking.