Chapter 48

He sat on the bed watching me fold my clothes and place them neatly in my bag. I knew that he was watching me, and I glanced over to catch him biting the inside of his cheek. There was silence between us, but I knew that we both had so much to say to each other, just not yet. Well, I did anyway. Who knows what's going on in that head of his.

I walked into the bathroom and picked up my toothbrush, toothpaste, and a few other items, placing them all in a smaller bag. He smiled and shook his head. "You do realize that we will only be gone for two days, right?"

"Well, that's what I assumed when you said the weekend. It's really not a lot, it just looks that way." I smiled, finally closing the suitcase and walking around the room, trying to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything. "Are you all packed?"

He stood and picked up my black bag. "My suitcase, which is half the size of this one, is already in the truck." He lifted mine off the bed and purposely let it fall to the floor, dragging it as if it weighed a thousand pounds.

"So dramatic.." I followed behind him, snickering as I turned the lights off along the way. He avoided looking at the door to the guest room and I couldn't help but wonder, did he ever think about Nicole? It wasn't until that very second that I realized she was in Vegas! "Uh, what hotel are we staying at?"

He froze and turned to look at me. "Do you seriously think I'd do that to you? I haven't spoken to her since that day and I honestly hope that I never see her again. This trip is for us, you know, to see if we can really move past what happened." He shrugged, staring at me with those beautiful baby blues.

"Just making sure." I picked up my purse and dug my keys out, using the one for my apartment to lock the door. I couldn't believe I allowed him to talk me into this. What if while in Vegas, we were to run into Nicole? That would be extremely awkward and uncomfortable. I know Jared said this weekend was for us, but I hoped to be able to see my family if possible. It had been a while since my last visit and I really missed them.

I got in the truck and stared out the window, my brain quickly going into overdrive. Would he even want to meet my parents? What would they think of him? What if they didn't get along? His warm hand moved on top of mine. "Thank you for agreeing to this."

"Thank you for planning it." We were so cordial right now, but what if when we were alone, all we did was fight?

We flew by private jet and Jared had a car waiting for us once we arrived in Vegas. I stared quietly out the window, taking in the familiar scenery. Jared reached for my hand, caressing the back of it. "We're going to be having lunch with your parents tomorrow."

I stared into his blue eyes, shocked. "Wait, you've spoken to my parents? How?" I tilted my head to the side. The only way he could have gotten my parents' number was Luke.

"I have my ways." He joked, granting me that playful smile I loved so much. "They will be meeting us at the hotel around noon. I really hope you don't mind."

Mind? Was he kidding? Nervous, yes, but I was a little excited that he took the initiative to set up a lunch date with them. Daddy can be a little crazy, but one thing they both had in common was that they loved music. That could certainly keep them chatting for hours. "I don't mind at all, I'm actually excited."

The car dropped us off at the hotel, one of the most expensive in Vegas. One that I've only had the pleasure of seeing the outside of. "Have you ever stayed here?"

"No way, too expensive for my taste." I glanced around, taking everything in while he approached the front desk. This place was massive and so unbelievably elegant. I mean, I had stayed at some pretty lush places with Luke, but nothing like this. From the marbled floors to the updated, modern decor, it was breathtakingly beautiful.

"Ready?" He snuck up behind me, sliding his hand into my palm.

"Yes." I couldn't wait to see our room. I remember imagining what they looked like as I drove past it back in the day. We rode up to our floor and walked down the long, elegant looking hallway. Jared tipped the young bellhop who had recognized him and the two carried on a short conversation. He finally exited and I grinned, feeling strong arms wrap around me.