Welcome to America

"Perfect darling. That's right love, make the camera sweat. Tilt your chin up a bit more doll and give me those sexy eye's. Perfect, just like that. And. We. Are. Done." My favorite photographer Amas chirped.

Exhausted from holding this pose off and on for the last six hour's I collapsed back on the set floor. At least I was in a studio today and not in the freezing cold. I was shooting an ad for Coral Reef swimsuits and beach wear today and just for a minute I relaxed and took in the scene. Fake palm tree's surrounded me and the sand beneath me caressed my bikini clad body. The backdrop was that of a Brazilian sunset and just for a moment I closed my eye's and imagined I was on the beach somewhere and all my worries were being swept out with the undertow.

The heat from the massive lights could be felt on my skin but I pretended it was the sun. I was just getting into my daydream further when I felt a lite tickle on my nose. Opening my eye's I saw Amas standing above me with his goofy grin. "You're free to go now love".

" I have. I'm on vacation". I smiled up at him lazily.

Amas chuckled. "Well I'll have you know that I got the sand you're lying on from the dump. Watch out for broken glass".

Shooting up I brushed the sand from my skin hastily as Amas laughed. Catching onto his joke I playfully shoved him. "Such a dick move Amas".

" well I couldn't have you getting too comfortable. I've got to have this set broke down in a jiffy. I'm due in America by tomorrow evening. Gotta a plane to catch soon". Amas said as the staff begin to dismantle the set.

Without realizing a smile lit my face as I thought about America and my long ago dreams. Glancing around I saw the man sent to watch over me dozing in his chair. "How soon are you leaving?"

Amas glanced at his rolex. "Probably in the next ten. My friend has been kind enough to loan me his private jet".

Looking back at the man to ensure he was still sleeping I made a rash decision. This was my one and only chance to escape. This was my ticket out of here and I'd be a fool not to take it. "Got room for one more?"

Amas laughed. "Are you serious? What about your shoot with Fresh Skin Care Products tomorrow? Your husband for that matter?"

Amas and I had been friends for awhile now and he knew my marriage wasn't the greatest but if course he didn't know why. In fact he has urged me to leave Octavis a time or two. Not for his own needs but because his camera picks up what the makeup tries to hide. Thank God for photoshop. Besides Amas has been in a relationship with Darrius for quite some time. That's right, we are on the same team so to speak but I'm grateful for him. He's got me through some terrible time's and he's honestly the only friend I have.  Sure I've met plenty of girl's in this business but I learned quickly that there not always your friend. They will stick a knife in your back as soon as you turn around. After all we are each other's competition in this industry. Then there are the one's who use drugs as their escape and to stay thin. More than once I've saw a few shoot up on the set. Other than polite conversation I stay away.

With a new air of excitement in my voice I declared. "I'll worry about that later" .

Amas grinned and shook his head. "You're fucking serious? You've finally grown some ball's. Run along now and do what you can. Meet me at the back exit. My car leaves in ten".

I nodded my head dumbfounded not believing I was really going to do this. Before I hurried off, I asked. "Where will we be going exactly?"

" New York City baby".

Hearing that I raced off to my dressing room. Flinging the bikini off I hurriedly slid into a pair of sweats and oversized t-shirt. Quickly I stuffed my feet into my running shoes. I'd worry about clothes once I arrived. Then another thought struck me... My money. I couldn't leave it at Octavis"s disposal. Thinking fast I grabbed my phone and looked up bank's in New York. Thank my lucky stars that they offered a twin bank there. Quickly I filled out a statement for a transfer which would also freeze my assets temporarily. Racing out, I had less than two minutes before I had to meet Amas. I spied Octavis"s man still sleeping then searched for my makeup artist Sasha. We were on good terms and I knew she was trustworthy. Pulling her aside I spoke rapidly. "I need a favor Sash?"

" What? " she asked as she continued to pack up her many brushes and pallets.

"I'm leaving for America in a few. Could you please ship me my portfolio. I'll contact you with the location soon".

" Sure thing kid".

I hugged her and sped off. As I came barreling around the corner Amos was eyeing his watch. Opening the door for me he said. "I was giving up on you doll".

Shooting him a nervous smile I said. "Not a chance buddy. You're stuck with me now".

It wasn't until I was on the plane that the reality of what I was doing hit me. I knew I was putting Amas and Sasha in danger as well as myself. Amas busied himself on a phone call with Darrius as I stared out the window into the night sky trying to come up with solutions. I was running several answers through my mind when my phone buzzed. Fear gripped my chest as I saw his number appear. Taking a deep breath I answered. It was now or never. "Yes".

" You fucking bitch. I'll kill you. Where are you at? "

I knew he'd find out sooner or later so there's was no need to hide it. "I'm going to America".

" What? You have thirty minutes to walk through my door or so help me God". He roared.

Enough was enough and something inside me snapped. "Listen here you little dick bastard. I'm never returning and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. If you dare come after me or harm my friend's are family I'll expose you for what you are. Remember I know every murder you are responsible for. Everyone of your dirty client's. Everyone will know what a shit you are and lock you away until you rot. If anything happens to me I have left the information with a trusted source who will turn it over to the proper authorities. Either way dead or alive I will take you down. You'll be hearing from my divorce lawyer soon".

Leaving it at that, I hung up. Of course no one knew about him. I added that as a extra precaution to warn him from searching for me or my loved one's but he didn't know that. Finally I managed to shut my eye's and get some sleep. When I woke I looked out the window and saw the Statue of Liberty standing so tall and beautiful. A tear trickled from my eye as I saw mother freedom before me. The place where dreams come true. I'm here now and I'm going to make it happen. Hello America.