Batter's Up

"Sadly this is a mistake that can't be reversed. You knew you were entering the Harper territory yet you continued to conduct business" . I hissed then broke off into a deep, malevolent chuckle.

"Seriously I wasn't aware. I swear I didn't know. Had I known believe me, I wouldn't have done it. Please spare me and I promise you'll never see me again". The boy about my age begged.

" The order has been placed on your life and I will fulfill my Papes wishes. That's right, I am a Harper, Heir Harper to be exact ".

" You don't have to do this man. I'll leave and your father will never know the difference ".

Looking into the man's petrified eye's I felt nothing. No remorse. No sympathy. No guilt as for what I was about to do. Propping against a ramshackle desk that had been abandoned along with the building I had taken him to I struck a match and let it burn down to my fingertips as I spoke. Looking into the flames I said softly. "There's only one thing that can save you but she's not here. I met a girl and I think she's going to be special to me. I can't explain it but when I'm around her I want to be different... Better. No, she doesn't realize who or what I am and that's for the best. The only reason I'm telling you is well, you're getting ready to die so my secrets safe don't you think?"

" Please. You can change right now. Let me live and start a new life with this girl".

Laughing I struck another match. "It's not that simple. It never is".

" if you care for her as you claim you'll leave this life behind and be better for her. Do you honestly think a decent girl like her will stick by your side once she learns the truth? She'll hate you. You'll disgust her. Nows your chance to break free and get the girl along with the life you want".

"Shut the fuck up". I roared.

I knew he was only talking fast to save his own neck. This dude didn't give two shits about my woes. "You know nothing about her or us for that matter. Your just trying to avoid dying by making me feel. Well guess what? I don't feel for nothing or no one. You crossed the lines and now you must pay".

Picking my black bag up from the floor I sat it on the desk with a thud. The dude continued to ramble on in an attempt to talk me out of it but his word's were lost on deaf ears. Plucking a small black box from my bag, I begin to fiddle with a tangle of wires. "You know I've always been fond of fireworks. In fact my special girl reminds me of a firecracker the way her blood runs hot and her temper flares. So much so I named this little device firecracker in her honor. You see, this tiny box is filled with black powder. Take notice how it's small enough to swallow. Once the wires are in place I will force it down your throat, find a secure spot and push this trigger right here". I said dangling the trigger above my head.

Ignoring his pleas I fished out a syringe from my bag and approached him. "Don't fret. This is just a little something to relax you. Basically it will paralyze you so I can get the device down your throat without a struggle. I'm not up for fighting this down your mouth. I've got thing's to do so let's get this going".

He tried to wiggle around but in the end I stuck the needle into his arm. "Now in a few minutes it will set in. Don't worry though, you'll still be awake and feel every ounce of pain when it blows you up from the inside." I said and leaned back against the desk  for a quick smoke.

Waiting several minutes I walked back to him with the device. He didn't struggle anymore and his head leaned over and his mouth hung open loosely as a trail of saliva dripped down his chin. His eye's remained open but it was certain that he had lost all control of his bodily functions. Slipping my black leather gloves on, I tilted his head up and begin to shove the device down his throat. Once I had succeeded I patted his shoulder and whispered. "Step back and enjoy the show".