xiii.

[okay if any of u don't know what eommonim is, it's a formal "mom"]

I shook off the thoughts as I looked away from the painting.

My eyes landed on the picture frame on the nightstand table.

It was Taehyung, with a girl. It looked pretty new, seeing that Taehyung had changed in the picture.

I wonder who she is.

Could she be his girlfriend?

Next to that was another picture frame, which looked a little old but it gave me a strange feeling.

It was facing down, but out of curiosity, I held it up.

I think I regret doing it.

The glass was shattered slightly, and it seemed to be facing down for a while since there were dust forming.

I rubbed of a little bit of the dust on the glass surface - only to see my face.

I remember this. I think this was 11 or 12 years ago..

I completely smudged all the dust covering what was supposed to be seen.

Now it was all revealed — it was Taehyung & I.

My heart felt like it sank a thousand feet down. My eyes were leaking, and a tear dropped on the frame.

"Saerin-ah, dinner is ready," Mrs. Kim shouted from the dining room.

I wiped off my tears and placed it back the way it used to be, facing down.

Two picture frames, described by one wordReplaced.

I sat down across Mrs. Kim. The dining table was not-too-spacious, just a square table, enough for four people.

A simple variety of food was served on the table. I suddenly forgot about everything I saw inside his room.

"If I'm not mistaken, this is still your favorite, right?" She pointed at the sweetly glazed fried chicken.

"Yes, eommonim! But I love it better when you cook it," I smiled and she chuckled.

"Eat a lot, dear," She passed me the rice.

"Thank you, eommonim."

"Anything for you, you're the daughter I never had," She smiled warmly.

I was helping clean the table while Mrs. Kim was washing some dishes.

"Eommonim," I nervously called.

"Yes, dear?" She side-glanced at me.

"May I ask you something?" I said and she hummed, indicating affirmation.

"... Is Taehyung.. seeing someone?"

Another set of silence made the room dull. I was getting a feeling that at the end of my curious day, I'd be drowned in negativity.

Only the flowing water from the tap was heard, until she finally decided to break the silence.

She turned off the sink and sighed.

"Come with me to Taehyung's room," She led me to the same room I recently entered.

I sat down on the chair as she was rummaging something next to the closet.

She took out the black old-looking box which was under the pile of tripods.

She dusted it off and sat next to me.

She picked up the picture frame of Taehyung and— the girl.

I felt my chest getting tight.

"This is Mira."