lviii.

Taehyung's POV

I entered the condo, the only light visible was from the window. I looked around and then decided to turn on the lights. Why didn't I just do that earlier?

I was startled when a familiar girl stood before me, all smiles as she shouted, "Surprise!"

"M-Mira," I forced a smile.

"Hi Tae," She threw her arms around me for a hug.

"Since when did you come back?" I asked.

"An hour ago. Don't you miss me?" She jokingly frowned.

"Of course.. I.. miss you." I hugged her back, smiling half-heartedly. I didn't know why I was being this way, and somehow I could not control how I'm acting infront of my... girlfriend.

"Are you busy? Can we go to a park or somewhere?" She pleaded and I nodded.

Something had changed. I feel uneasy around her, and it's probably because of my guilt. I loved her, sure. But not like before.

Our hands were intertwined as we walked along the streets. Mira had refused to use the car, insisting she missed walks with me.

I'm sorry for being this way. I can't love her back anymore, and it kills me because this isn't right. I learned to love someone else when she was away.

It's unfair for her side. I don't ever want to hurt her.

I don't know what to do.

"S-so how was Japan?" I nervously smiled at her, my thumb caressing the back of her hand.

"It was great, I met a lot of people and did what I wanted to do while I was there for work. I wish you were there though," She looked up at me, love clouding her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Mira." I really am.

"Don't be sorry, we've still got forever to spend.." She paused and then stopped her pace as she faced me, "R-right?"

Mira's POV

It's really over now. He changed.

He doesn't look at me with love in his eyes anymore. He doesn't... love me anymore.

The time I feared has come and I have to let him go soon. He really has fallen for her first love... and for the second time around.

I'm not that surprised, but it still hurts a little on my part.

At least I was prepared for this, right? 

Years ago, when we started dating, I promised myself I'd let him go just in case her first love comes back. It's still a risk even though I knew Taehyung wouldn't know her anymore. I know how the heart knows better than the brain.

And She did. Saerin came back.

Yes, I knew Saerin in the first place. I know a lot about Taehyung, and Saerin is a huge part of that.

He expressed his love in art, although that was before his memory of her was lost.

I'm not mad in any case, and I'd want them to be happy. I want Taehyung to be happy.

I guess my job is done. I guess my substitution for Saerin, is done.

She came back, and I guess- no, I truly am replaced.

I gave him a faint smile, "Do you want to sit down? We've been walking for an hour now."

He nodded and smiled at me. Of course, of course I noticed how his smile is different.

We sat on a bench fronting the Han River. Only for dates, but this time, it could be for break-ups.

"Taehyung," I said softly, clutching his hands in mine. "I love you." For the last time.

"I.." He looked unsure, and I already expected that.

"You don't have to say it." I smiled.

"Once upon a time, a boy was in love with a girl. So in love that he painted her into fascinating artworks.."

"One day, the girl left, leaving him devastated. He was broken- and his mind was too. He lost his memory of her beloved."

"Another girl came, painting his world with colors. He was lost but she found him. He was in love once again, but not for too long."

"His first love came back, and even though his mind did not know her, his heart did. Like they said, first.. love.." I felt my tears well up on the brim of my eyes as I placed my hand on a side of his face, "..never dies."

"M-Mira what are you talking about..." Taehyung held my hand, his cold skin against mine.

"You love her, right?" I smiled reassuringly, "you don't have to lie, Taehyung. You love Saerin.."

"I..." His lips trembled. "M-Mira, I'm sorry.."

"It's alright, Tae," the tears had finally rained down on my cheeks.

"Could you do one last thing for me?" My lips formed a faint smile as I laced my fingers with his.

"What is it?"

"Make her happy like how she made you happy before."

Taehyung heaved out a sigh, his lips parting in the process, "I promise, Mira."

"If letting you go is the answer for you to be happy," I paused, staring deep into his eyes although he couldn't look straigt at me anymore, "then I'll wholeheartedly set you free."

"I.. I'm so sorry, Mira." He really was. I could see it in his watering eyes.

"Don't be guilty. I'm doing this for myself too," I smiled.

"If you're guilty then..."