- one.

the sky was painted a cloudy grey and faint specks of white cloud could be seen along the skyline.

the buildings, a variety of different tones had long since been used, this was the outskirts, the forgotten region.

it was the place changkyun learned to tolerate, having grown up there, in a small house with his wrinkled, humorous grandfather.

changkyun just turned twenty-two and had received something he was extremely thankful for.

"you got me a drum kit?"changkyun asked the old man whom he lived with.

they were in the cramped living room of their house, which was even more filled as a grand set of drums took up the corner.

mr im smiled, "yes chang, I thought you might want some lessons as well, you might like that."

changkyun stared delightedly at the mixture of grey that was his grandfather, whom he would nickname 'gran', "thank you, gran, it would be amazing."

he wondered what his grandfather saw, he was told his hair was an ash brown and his eyes were small, almost rounded at the edges and were the darkest brown, close to black.

"gran..."he muttered, averting his eyes at one of the reoccurring questions his grandfather hated.

mr im recognized his tone immediately and sighed, "yes chang?"

"....what colour are the drums? they seems dark.."

"they're red, chang. i've asked you many times not to-"

"but gran! how am i supposed to know what colour everything is? i don't have-"

mr im let out an exasperated sigh, "if only..if only you did find your soulmate, you're destined to meet so-"

"gran, they'll show up, eventually, but until then, my world is enveloped in black, white and grey."

"if you say so."

changkyun stood up from the faded leather couch and walked toward the drum kit, feeling the smooth, cool surface against the pads of his fingers.

he sat down on the small tool which seemed to be black and faced the array of drums, two light drumsticks on a larger one.

he grasped the drumsticks slowly and tapped a drum carefully, eyeing his grandfather, almost waiting for permission.

"go on, try it out."

changkyun smiled faintly and tapped his foot on the rhythmic drum, then clattered the drumstick against a cymbal.

he freestyled loudly, reusing the same beat over again.

when he stopped his grandfather gave a watery smile, "you're a natural, and with those lessons you'll do amazing."

changkyun smiled appreciatively at his guardian, "thank you, gran, for everything,"

"the drums are no probl-"

"no. for everything."

suddenly mr im's ears went a light shade of rose, "im changkyun, if there's one thing in life you should be striving to, it's success, in every department."

mr im sent a cheeky wink in changkyun's direction and changkyun's face went completely red.

"just imagine, little chang's running ar-"

"gran!"changkyun said in a whiny voice, scrunching his nose.

mr im laughed at his grandson, who reminded him of changkyun's father, a man with the same half-round eyes and strong nose.

changkyun's parents were young when changkyun was conceived, just out of high school.

they knew they couldn't support a child, and dropped the new born onto changkyun's grandfather's doorstep with a note and a small blanket atop the sleeping child.

"chang, let's go out and get something to eat."
__________________________________

sooooo...this is chapter one oof

idk i hope y'all like it :)))

— apricotpjm