fifteen (2nd draft)

Xavier

We sat there in comfortable silence until Adriana fell asleep. I rubbed her back and listened to her breathing. Watching her chest rise and fall was more relaxing than I could have ever imagined. Over a month ago, I didn't know who this girl was. And now? I was completely obsessed with her. As much as I adored her and wanted to keep her wrapped up tightly in my arms, I knew it wasn't going to last. But that pessimism was really starting to weigh me down. In that moment, as drool fell from her chapped lips, I was going to make the most of our time together. Even if it meant her getting absolutely annoyed of my presence, I didn't care. By the end of our time together, I was going to know her every secret.

Not in a creepy way.

I gently maneuvered from the bed and covered her with a blanket. She looked so angelic. Her hair was splayed out all across the pillow. How did I get this lucky? She was right though, what would happen after? I knew her father would never let this continue; whatever this was. Yet again, I didn't lie. I didn't care what we were. I wanted all of her, all to myself.

It didn't matter.

I was starving, per usual, so I headed down to the kitchen. After telling the staff what I wanted, I sat down at the table and went on my phone.

"Xavier!" It was Cindy. "There's a letter for you."

I strolled over to her and she handed me the letter. "Thank you," I said to her.

I opened it and it was an invitation. I already knew who it was from just by the A on the front of the invitation.

The Avila's.

Greetings Rojo's.

You are formally invited to our annual soirée. The event will be held Saturday at 7pm. It will end at 12am. We hope to see you there.

Please don't hesitant to bring the Valentín's daughter. We would love for her to attend as well.

Sincerely, Avila's.

I hated going to their soirées. I even hated that word. It was just a pretentious way of saying a fancy evening party. Every single year, they would invite and every single year, Dad forced me to go. I believed it was because he had the hots for Isabella but he never confirmed anything. However, given that my father wasn't here, I thought this would be the year where I finally did not have to dress up and pretend to like people that I hated.

"Cindy? Do me a favor and call my father for me."

"Right away, Xavier." She hurried away to call my father. I never called him directly from my phone. It might seem odd but he simply never answered me.

She handed the phone to me. "Hello?"

"We got invited to the Avila's soirée on Saturday and they specifically asked for Adriana. We don't have to go, right?" Please say no, I really do not want to go.

"Ah, fuck. I had forgotten about that." I heard him scratch his head before continuing, "We're going. I'll be back tomorrow morning." I groaned and leaned my head back.

"I thought you said we weren't supposed to leave. You know, for her safety?"

"Yes, I know. But, you also know how the Avila's are. If we don't show up, they're going to question why. We don't need them digging their noses into our business."