thirty-three (2nd draft)

Xavier

I walked the streets of Manhattan. The sounds of taxi's honking and people talking on their cellphones. I blew out cold air and tugged on my jacket. No matter how many times I come here, I will never get used to the tundra that is New York. I loved being in California, but I loved being with Adriana even more.

Adriana.

I was undoubtedly pissed at her. I didn't want to yell at her nor make her cry, so I just left. I loved her and her antics, but this was not the best call on her part.

My mother? I have never met that woman and I really never had a burning desire to. Yes, knowing my mother was a possibility that I had gone over in my head, but I never felt the need to go out and find her. I was perfectly content with my life and the way it was. I had an annoying, but great dad and a beautiful, incredible girlfriend. There was nothing more I could possibly want from life. I was happy.

Then, she shows up out of nowhere. Shocking enough already. Then, I find out that Adriana tracked her down. I understand that she had the best intentions in mind. I would finally meet my mother and my dad would be reunited with the love of his life. However, life is not fairytales and rainbows. She could have been married with kids. She could have gotten over my dad and left him heartbroken. There were so many things that could've gone bad and she didn't think of them. She didn't even take account the possibility of me not wanting to meet her. She did leave me after all and never tried to contact us. Not the trait of a mother who wants to have a relationship with her son.

The cold was getting too much for me to handle, so I walked into the nearest shop I could find. I happened to stumble upon a coffee shop and strolled inside. The air was warm and smelled of coffee and pastries.

"Hello, welcome to heaven. What can I get for you, sweetie?" A kind old lady said from behind the counter. I chuckled and looked at the array of options.

"Hi, can I get a flat white, please?" I ordered.

"Sure thing, sugar. It'll be five dollars." I fished out five dollars from my wallet and handed it to her. "Are you new to New York?" She asked as I waited for her to make my coffee.

"I'm here visiting my girlfriend, I live in California." I responded.

"California? I've always wanted to go there. Sandy white beaches? Yes, please." She said and I chuckled. "How long are you going to be here for?"

"I'm heading back after New Years. I didn't get to spend it with her last year, so I made sure I was here this year." I said. "Have you lived in Manhattan your whole life?"

"Pretty much. I've never left New York. Born and raised in New York City. I went to college here, met my husband and raised our children here. New York is my home and I never really wanted to leave. Do you like it here?"

"Not at all," I said and she laughed. "I've never been one that loves the cold. I prefer the heat. I don't know. Manhattan has nothing that I want," except my girl. "I'd never want to move here." I said as she handed me my coffee.

"Sounds like you and your girlfriend have your work cut out for you guys."

"Pardon?"

"Well, since one of you has to make the move. You can't continue to live on opposite sides of the country." She said.

"Right. Thank you for the coffee."