thirty-two (2nd draft)

Adriana

ONE YEAR LATER

"It's almost two in the afternoon, aren't you going to get up?" Mateo said from my doorway. I groaned and pressed my head against my pillow. "Earth to Adri!" He yelled.

"Go away," I groaned while throwing a pillow at him. I was exhausted. I hadn't gone to sleep until four in the morning. A very poor decision on my end, but the reason made it worth it. "Can't you see I'm tired?"

"Hey, its not my fault you stayed up all night talking to your boyfriend. It's Christmas. Plus, there's someone here for you," he said nonchalantly.

"Who?"

"I don't know. She didn't say her name, but she said it was important," he said. I was curious. Who would be here to see me on Christmas of all days? I got up and put on my slippers. I walked down and saw a very nicely dressed woman sitting with my mother. I walked down the stairs and eyed her. She looked familiar, but I couldn't pinpoint from where.

"Look who finally decided to wake up," my mother said as she saw me. The woman turned towards me and set down her coffee. "I'll be in the kitchen if you need anything."

The woman stood up and I took notice of her gorgeous hazel eyes and deep brown hair. I walked over and offered my hand, "Nice to meet you, I heard you were asking for me."

Instead of shaking my hand, she pulled me into a tight hug. I was very confused at first, but figured she was an affectionate person. I hugged her back.

"I'm sorry," she apologized and let me go. "I didn't even tell you my name and I'm already hugging you."

I smiled. "It's no problem, really."

"Well, nice to meet you, Adriana. I'm-" She stopped when we heard the elevator. Jesus fuck, who the hell is here now? We turned towards the elevator and my eyes widened.

No fucking way. No fucking way!

"I'm sorry, please excuse me for a minute," I said. She nodded and I ran towards the elevator. I completely ignored Luis and jumped into Xavier's arms. He stumbled backwards and wrapped his arms around me. "Oh my God! What are you doing here?" I asked in pure excitement. "I wasn't supposed to see you until next week."

"Yeah, well, I missed you too much. I couldn't wait till next week. Merry Christmas, baby." Aware of our guest, I didn't kiss him how I desperately wanted to. I merely pressed my lips against his for a few seconds. I set myself down on the floor and went to hug Luis.

"Nice to see you, too, Adri."

"You-" I started, but got cut off.

"Luis?" The woman said. She had dropped our coffee mug on the floor. It spilled everywhere. Thank God, it didn't get on the white rug. My mother would've flipped her shit. I saw her wide eyes and parted mouth. What was going on? Who is this woman?

"Xiomara?" Luis said after a couple of moments. The name sounded awfully familiar to me. Then, it clicked. Xavier's mother, the love of Luis' life. I can't believe she found me.

A little context. When I found out about Xiomara, I desperately wanted to find her. I wanted Luis to have her back and for Xavier to have a relationship with his mother. My family knew a few private investigators and I asked them to find her. I never thought she would show up to New York. I wondered how she even found me.