thirty (2nd draft)

Xavier

"Well?" My father asked as soon as Adriana closed the door.

"Well, what?" I had an idea of what he was asking, but I wasn't too sure. Scratch that, I was one hundred percent clear on what he was talking about. I just decided to be difficult and play dumb.

"Don't start with that. You know exactly what I'm talking about." He looked fed up. I raised an eyebrows and he groaned. "Estúpido, I'm talking about you and Adriana."

"Oh, yeah. What about us?" I queried as I grabbed a drink of water.

He groaned again. "What happened between you two while we were gone? Did you explain everything?"

"Yes, I explained everything. Everything's fine." I said as I took another sip of water.

"That's all I get?" He questioned. "'Everything's fine'?" He said in a mocking tone. I laughed and choked on my water.

"Well, that's all there is to it," I said while wiping water off of my mouth. My smile quickly faded when I saw Alejandro enter the room.

I actually was going to die today.

"Moment alone, Luis?" Alejandro asked calmly.

My father turned around and stood up, "Sure thing." He turned back to me and mouthed, good luck. He exited the room and closed the door.

He slowly strode over to my bedside. I sat up straighter. He sat down in the chair next to me and hunched over.

"You're going to sit there and listen to me very closely. Understand?" He said sternly.

"Yes, sir," I confidently said. I didn't want to come across as I'm seething with fear. I had almost forgotten how intimidating Alejandro is.

"I don't like you and I certainly don't trust you. The only reason I didn't kill you the second I found out you broke Adriana's heart was because of her. Now, I don't give a fuck about the reason. After all the shit you put her through... I should never let her see you again. That's exactly what I want to do," he clenched his jaw and paused for a few moments. "But, I'm not going to. She's old enough to make her own decisions. If she wants to be with you, then so be it. But, pull that shit again and you're fucking dead. You hear me?"

"I would never, sir," I said.

"What's going on here?" Adriana's voice radiated off the walls. We both turned towards her and saw that she had a cup of coffee in her hands.

"Just finished having a conversation with Xavier," Alejandro spoke first. She narrowed her eyes at her father and he chuckled. "Don't worry, I'm leaving now." He got up and strode over to the door, before closing it shut.

"Where'd you go?" I asked her as she sat back down.

"Bathroom. Well, that's a lie. I tried to find the bathroom, but I got lost. So, I stole this coffee." She said as she took a sip. She stole that?

"You stole that?" I said as I got up from the bed. I needed the get the fuck out of here. Man, thank God my dad brought me clothes.