six (2nd draft)

Xavier

After last night, she had been in her room for ages. I didn't know if she was alive or dead. I didn't know what to say to her. I knew, every part of my body knew, that she was not a brat nor a burden. But I knew myself. The last thing I wanted was to get to know her. Undeniably attracted to her was the closest I wanted to get to knowing her true colors.

I slowly creaked the door open and took tentative steps inside. Her long brunette hair was splayed across the silken pillowcase while she quietly snored. My eyes scanned her room and I saw how she had an easel set up in her room with a half-finished canvas. I found myself treading lightly inside the bedroom, being careful to not disturb Sleeping Beauty. Her lips  curved into a faint smile, embedded into her cheeks were dimples.

God's gift to mankind.

Her eyes started to flutter open. She rubbed her eyes with her forearm and squinted. "What do you want?" She said as soon as she saw the tall figure towering over her. She groaned as she turned to face the other side of the room. Her tone took me aback. I had thought we made progress last night.

"I had to make sure you hadn't died in here," I harshly said back. I heard her scoff and I subconsciously rolled my eyes. The girl pulled her blanket closer to her face and fully turned away.

"Well, I'm fine. You can leave now," she spat.

"Gladly," I turned on my heel and shut the door behind me. I ran a hand through my ruffled hair as I exited the brunette's room.

"X! I'm home!" A familiar voice bellowed. I scrunched my face as I pondered about why she was here.

"Lily? What are you doing here?" I asked, treading downstairs. As I got closer and closer, I heard the clack of her heels on the marble flooring. Her radiant red hair swayed softly and her green eyes pouted at me.

Lilian was my father's business partner. They had known each other forever, even with Lily being two decades younger than my father. Her and her wife Farah had always been part of our family. Lily took the role as the mother I never had. I loved her eternally for it.

"I missed you guys!" She said as she pulled me into a tight embrace. Her scent of lavender wafted into my nose. As her lips were right against my right ear, she whispered, "Plus, I heard Luciana Valentín's daughter was here. Is that true?"

"Unfortunately," I groaned as I pulled myself out of Lily's squeezing arms. Some part of me wanted to go back into the shell I had lived in since Adriana had gotten here. Everything with her was back and forth. One minute, we had meaningful conversations on the beach and the next, she spat attitude at me.

She backed up and studied my face. "You don't like her?" Her arms were crossed and her stance changed. I sighed when I realized she was on her way to being defensive.

"That's one way to put it," I calmly said.

"She's been here what? All of a couple of days and you've decided that you hate her?"

"Look, I just don't like her. It isn't a big deal. I have... reasons," I explained.

She signed. "You know, you have this thing where you make up assumptions about people before you even have a chance to get to know them. It's really annoying. I've heard that she's a very nice girl."