twenty-seven (2nd draft)

Adriana

I was doing better. It was the day after Christmas and I was all cuddled up in my blankets. Life was okay. Life was looking up for me.

When I was little, I used to love it because of the presents. What little kid doesn't love presents? I would be so excited to wake up and go downstairs. My love for the holiday never changed, but my perspective did. I used to love receiving, but now I love giving. The joy on someone's face after receiving something they've always wanted or that means a lot to them is priceless. Being surrounded by my family is the best, too. The holidays usually bring out the best in people. It brings out the best in me.

"Adriana!" I heard my mother yell from downstairs. I looked back at my wall and touched the drawing Xavier gave me. I know it's stupid, but I taped up the drawing. You know, the one I ripped up in a rage. I wasn't ready to part with it, even those it's just a fucking piece of paper.

"Coming!" I yelled back. I stepped out my room and looked towards the living room. I marveled in the beauty of it all. I decorated the hell out of it. Usually, my brothers would be complaining about how it looked like Santa threw up in here, but not this time.

"Merry Christmas, Princesa," my father greeted. I smiled and hugged him.

"Merry Christmas," I muttered.

I greeted the rest of my family and went to sit down on the couch. I stared out the window as I watched the snow fall. I loved Christmas time in New York. It truly was a winter wonderland. Snow covered every inch of his place. I loved it. I loved it all.

The day went amazingly. No one was being a bitch to me. Everyone usually loves to tease me about how much I love Christmas, but not today. I mean, I know why. No one wants to further batter my battered heart. I was appreciative, though.

The day was filled with love and laughter. For once in two weeks, I felt happy. I felt good. Nothing could bring me down.

I walked downstairs to grab something to eat. Mom and Dad were in the living room laughing. Mateo and Santiago were both in their rooms, presumably still sleeping. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch -my favorite- and a bowl.

I heard my dad's phone buzz on the kitchen. I ignored it, because that wasn't my phone. Then, it wouldn't stop buzzing. I groaned as I got annoyed.

"Papi! Someone keeps texting you!" I yelled to him.

"See who it is!" He yelled back. Everyone in this family was so lazy.

I rolled my eyes and internally groaned as I went towards his phone. I stuffed the box of cereal and bowl between one arm to free my other. I turned on his phone and saw that the messages were from Luis.

Luis: Xavier got into an accident.

My heart dropped.

Luis: I don't know what to do.

Luis: He's in the hospital right now.

"Mija? What happened?" My mom came into the kitchen and that's when I realized that I had dropped everything from my hands. The bowl immediately shattered on the floor. My tears fell onto the floor and I was shaking. "Adri? What's going on?" She cautiously walked up to me and looked down at the phone that was still in my trembling hands. She gasped and put a hand over her mouth. "Alejandro! Come here now!"