five (2nd draft)

Adriana

"Good morning, Adriana. How'd you sleep last night?" Luis asked as I approached the dining table. I told the staff my order of chocolate chip pancakes and crispy bacon. I softly rubbed my eyes as I pulled out the chair and sat down.

"Good morning, I slept like a baby. What about you?" I shifted in my seat until I got comfortable. My feet were dreadfully cold. I had forgotten to wear socks last night and the Rojo's loved turning their AC down to well below freezing. I didn't mind, usually. As I typically had warm pajamas to wear, but I made the painful mistake of forgetting socks.

"As did I," he smiled at me and I returned the gesture. I heard footsteps behind me and I prayed that it wasn't who I thought it was. "Ah, look who finally decided to join us."

Ah shit, my prayer went unanswered.

The birthday bash was a week ago. After that, I had no desire to declare a truce with the guy. I tried playing nice and it obviously didn't work. I tried being straight up and I saw how that went. All my attempts to try and have a friendly relationship with him were futile. I resorted to staying out of his way; he responded in the same way.

"Morning to you too, father," he said in a groggy voice. I made it a point to not look at him. I scratched the back of my neck as I impatiently tapped my foot against the marble flooring.

Thankfully, my food had arrived a short time
later. I thanked the server and began to eat. Chocolate chip pancakes were my absolute favorite. Luis and the asshole were having a conversation, but honestly I wasn't paying any attention to them. I was enjoying my pancakes. Suddenly, Luis got up from the table and left towards his office.

Which just left the asshole and I. I angrily dug my fork into the stack of pancakes in front of me. I set the fork down on the plate with a clack.

"How you been, princess?" he condescendingly asked. "You've been a little radio silent."

"Hm, I wonder why that is. Maybe it's because you're an absolute delight to be around," I sarcastically retorted. I didn't know what he was hoping to gain from this little interaction we were having. It's the most we've spoken in a whole week.

"So you've said. You know, you're pretty ballsy, I'll give you that."

What the fuck is going on?

"Uh... thanks?" I questioned. Confusion wracked my mind. What the hell was he trying to accomplish? "Are you alright? Why are you being nice to me? It's weirding me out."

He chuckled and smiled. "I'm simply trying to figure you out. You... intrigue me. Plus, I'm high as shit right now, so don't get used to this... kindness."

"You're high?" I bellowed in shock. My eyes went wide and Xavier shushed me. I shook my head in disbelief and drank a sip of my water.

"Keep it down, will ya? And yes, I am. It's calming. You should try it, you're so ... uptight." Xavier smiled and leaned back in his seat. He took a large gulp of water and I noticed how red his eyes were. I just thought he was tired but I guess not.

"You're such an idiot. You're asking for lung cancer," I told him. He chuckled and lightly shook his head. I hated to say it, but high Xavier was pretty cool.