1. His Crown

HOPE

HOPE

The warm breeze blew on my hair, leaving it cackling behind me for every time I kicked the ground to wheel my skateboard forward. After every kick, the ground vibrated against the sole of my dirty white converse.

I skateboarded through an endless path lined with tall trees on both sides. The sun was about to set, resting on the horizon and leaving the sky in gleaming hues of pink and orange. The town of EverGreen smelled the same. Old pine trees and steamy coffee.

I took a turn towards EverGreen Park. It was a shortcut to the rich side of the town. I rode my skateboard across the vacant, soundless park before reaching the home of the rich residents of EverGreen.

Honestly, it wasn't like entering an entirely different world. The houses were just bigger and more glamorous while the ones on my side of the town looked exactly the same just in different colors.

I rode past Maya Greene's old house. It was big and exclusively elegant almost like all the houses lined up next to it. Another rich family had moved into her house. I sometimes wondered who stayed in her bedroom, knowing she was raped in there almost every night. It was not like the one thousand residents of this town didn't know about it.

I rode my skateboard past all the appealing houses until I stomped my foot on the ground, halting my skateboarding as my eyes took in the sight of my destination. The house was big and white and the most attractive one in this part of the town.

The loud, heavy beats of the music were vibrating through the walls and filling the warm air around me, swirling on my skin. Cars were lined up outside of the huge gate while teenagers from school were breezing inside the house in a bunch of groups.

After wedging down my skateboard between two bushes, I
took a deep breath. I wanted to stride inside to the party like I was just one more in the crowd, but I was far from that.

If I walked inside that party two years ago, it would've been a totally normal thing. Being the star swimmer of EverGreen, I was famous around here and did party a lot. However, this wasn't two years ago. Things had changed. Now, I was the ex-star swimmer of this town, forgotten, invisible and also sympathized.

Admittedly, I couldn't wait to see everyone's faces when I entered Nathan Northwood's house. So with that excitement pumping through my veins, my legs carried me to the main doors of his house. 

I pushed my red curls behind my shoulders, ran my palms down my black leather shorts and straightened my sparkly gold top. I felt a smirk tugging on my lips. I was so ready for this. 

I walked in with my head held high and was instantly met with everything I had forgotten about parties in the course of two years.
The loud music tore my ears apart. I drowned in the stench of alcohol, sweat, and heat radiating off of all the teens swinging their bodies along with the music, making out, laughing and chattering away with plastic cups of beer resting on the tip of their tongues.