31. Ready To Fly

NATHAN

NATHAN

One month later

"I'm Nathan. I used to act like a superior popular jock because it kept me in control. It made me feel normal because I knew that if I wasn't that guy, all I was left with was depression and loneliness," I began, finally looking up from my lap to look at my friends listening to my story.

I inhaled a deep breath. "I think all of this, with me, started when I was fourteen and one night I couldn't sleep. It was the beginning of anxiety and fear of not doing the right thing and ruining everything. I just got really stressed. It was important that I slept well because I had a game the next day, and then I got problems with sleeping. When I went to bed, I thought, everyone is sleeping now but not me. I felt bad. It bothered me so much because then I wouldn't play well the next day and dad wouldn't be proud of me."

The memories came running back and I clenched my fists in my lap. Dad had always been in the picture. It was always mostly about pleasing him, but also myself.

"When I turned fifteen in freshman year, I started getting more muscles after playing basketball for five years. I thought, what if I run more and lift heavier weights? Will I be more muscular? I got obsessions about working out. I thought the more lean and muscular I was, the better. I sat up rules, and when it worked, I continued to follow those rules," I added.

Then, came the real problem I had been denying for so long. "I got addicted to working out and to food. I had to work out at specific times and also several times a day. I could only eat one type of food. I couldn't break these rules and it was like I had a demon's voice in my head. The voice controlled my life and it was there constantly. When I didn't listen to the voice, I felt really guilty. I got anxiety and I panicked."

Hope was smiling at me. I was far from done talking, but she looked so proud. She was here along with Cody, a part of the circle because I owed them this explanation after everything they had done for me.

"So I gained weight and my appearance changed quickly. People forgot I used to be the skinny kid in elementary school. I made more friends and started to fit in more. Cayden was my best friend, but when I joined the basketball team, I had to choose my teammates and working out over him. I couldn't hang out with him because he could ruin my routines. It was important I wasn't distracted by other things. That voice in my head didn't like that," I paused and moved my gaze to Cayden who's softened gray eyes were settled on me. I couldn't help but smile.

"But then my teammates got in the way too. They didn't work out as much as I needed to, so I worked out more than them. Eventually, all I could think about was food, sleep and working out. I started working out, like ten times a week. Nothing mattered except for food and lifting heavier and heavier weights. Plus perfect grades and winning every basketball game. I had no idea where these rules came from but I had to follow all of them. Every time I went to work out, entered a classroom for a test or got on the basketball field, I stressed and worried if I'd be able to do better than last time, but I just ended up feeling like a frightened little boy in an enormous body. It was me against myself."