28. Dreams & Fears

HOPE

HOPE

"School sucks without you," I admitted when I dropped my backpack on the floor and collapsed in my bed next to where Nathan was lying dressed in one of my blue hoodies and a pair of sweatpants.

Nathan chuckled. "School always sucks."

I rolled to the side to face him and reached my hand out to straighten his messy bed hair. "What have you been up to today?"

He wasn't ready to go back to school. He told me he was too tired of that place and even the thought of going to school and being the star basketball player of the town made him want to throw up. So I let him stay in my bed for as long as he wanted to.

He nuzzled closer while murmuring, "Slept. Read 1984. Slept more. Snooped around your room. Slept again."

"Have you eaten anything?" I asked, carefully.

Nathan's smile instantly vanished and his gaze shifted slightly. "Uh, yeah. I ate some cereal after you guys left."

Frowning, I covered his hand with mine. "Hey, are you okay? Is there anything you wanna talk about?"

"Uh...," he trailed off, his gaze dropping. A moment later, he whispered. "No. Not really. I'm fine."

I smiled, softly. "Okay. We can talk about it when you're ready then."

Nathan's lips twisted into a small smile and he inched closer to kiss me, which I by the way still couldn't quite believe was actually real.

Only two months ago, I made it my ultimate mission to get my best friend back. But I ended up getting so much more. I fell in love with him. I don't know when or how, I just knew it. The craziest part was that Nathan loved me back! Could it get more unbelievable than this?

His warm breath filled my mouth and warmed my body as I rested my forehead on his, letting his lips tease mine. I pecked his lips too many times that it left us both chuckling and giggling at the same time.

"So. Do you wanna watch a movie?" I asked, excitedly.

Nathan grinned. "Sure. Let's do it."

I jumped off the bed and gave him my laptop. "Okay. I'll bring the popcorn. You find a movie."

I was about to turn to leave the room, but Nathan grabbed my wrist and pulled me down to him before lazily pressing his lips against mine again. 

When our lips parted, I grinned widely at him. "You know what, Nathan? I think I can get used to this."

He grinned back equally brightly and I kissed him twice, and then once more just because I wanted to before running out of the room to pop us some popcorn.