14. Polishing Glass

NATHAN

NATHAN

The next morning, the sudden blaring sound of my ringtone snapped me out of my heavy sleep. When my eyes opened slightly, the sharp sunlight streaming in from the window with parted curtains made my heavy eyelids rapidly drop shut.

I knew I was slightly hungover and put my palm to the side of my head, as I reached my other hand out to grab my phone from the nightstand before answering it and pressing it against my ear, tiredly.

"Hello?" I mumbled, sleepily.

"How bad was I?" An equally sleepy voice asked.

"Beat all the jocks around that table in beer pong, screamed at Trent like a madwoman, called Connor a Smurf, called Bree wifey, told her she smelled good, told me a weird analogy about ants or some shit, and there are about fifty selfies of us in your phone."

For some reason, I expected her to groan and say fuck me or something like that, but I forgot that she was Hope Lance. And she did exactly what Hope Lance would do.

She cackled a laugh. "Fucking awesome! I was a drunk, functioning, badass weirdo. I love it."

"Of course you do." I sighed.

As my eyes were having a hard time adjusting to the light, I flipped around on my stomach and buried my face in my pillow. "Don't you know champagne gets people drunk so easily? And you drank the whole bottle. Why?"

"Well, Trent got on my nerves and you leaving me like that in the middle of our conversation kinda hurt my feelings. Yep, that's right. Hope Lance the confident, bold legend was hurt when the king ditched her for a few douches."

Guilt immediately crawled up my fingertips and I sighed. "I'm sorry I left you for Trent and the guys. I didn't want to. I just-"

"-had to?" She whispered, softly.

For a moment, I lay still until whispering back, "Yeah."

"Wanna know how you can make it up for me?"

"Not really, no. Besides, I actually did make it up for you by staying with you until the middle of the night when everyone had left," I clarified.

"Shit. Thanks for that," she said, her exhausted voice laced with genuineness.

I was awake now and flipped back around on my back and stared up the ceiling while I heard Hope's soft, slow breaths against my ear. For a moment, I felt like she was lying next to me.