13. Missing You

NATHAN

NATHAN

I didn't go see Mr. Standall today.

I skipped mom's brownies.

I showed up at Bree's party though.

Admittedly, it was kind of fun drinking champagne with Hope, but of course one of my retarded friends had to show up and ruin everything.

I caught the glimpse of hurt in Hope's eyes when I walked away from her with Trent by my side. Guilt had been growing in my chest ever since.

After hanging out with the guys for a while, I managed to slip away and strode over the kitchen in the corner of the living room where I popped a can of beer open and took a swig.

I was trying to spot Hope in the packed living room but instead my gaze froze on Maya and Cayden seated on a couch talking intimately. Grinning, Maya whispered something to Cayden and he tipped his head back as he laughed. They looked really happy. So happy that something within my chest twisted.

When Bree sat down next to them with Owen, Maya said something to her friends and gave Cayden a quick peck on the lips before jogging upstairs.

I glanced at Bree who nodded at the stairs and mouthed go several times to me.

I swallowed thickly.

My hands were sweaty.

My heartbeat tripled in speed.

My throat felt dry.

Shit. I can't.

I put my beer down on the counter and tried to seem casual as I followed Maya upstairs and through the corridor. She was about to swing the bathroom door open, but my surprisingly calm voice stopped her. "Maya, wait up!"

She turned around and her familiar blue eyes met mine. She looked beautiful as always in a nude dress and soft, dark chocolate brown her resting below her shoulders.

It was weird. Every time I looked at her, I had to mentally remind myself that she wasn't mine anymore. I couldn't kiss or hold her hand anymore. She belonged to Cayden now.

When I saw her smile and laugh now, I realized how different that smile and that laugh was from back when she was the popular queen of our school. It was genuine. I couldn't believe that I hadn't noticed how fake she was before she jumped. Heck, I was fake, so why didn't I notice that she was fake too?