Epilogue

MAYA

MAYA

"Guess who?" I blinked against a pair of palms covering my eyes by a figure behind me.

I grinned. "Spongebob?"

He chuckled softly in my ear, his breath against my hair. "Close."

I laughed and turned my head to find Cayden smiling widely at me. He sat down in the sand next to me and grabbed my hand, causing his heat to spread through me in a heartbeat.

"I can't believe we're done with high school," he admitted, lazily dropping his head on my shoulder.

I nodded. "Same. It's crazy. We're officially going to be college students after summer. That's even crazier."

After we graduated from EverGreen High, all the seniors followed the tradition and gathered by the EverGreen lake, sat up a bonfire and danced to the music, drank beer, laughed and talked and simply enjoyed themselves as this was their last night together as high schoolers.

Bree, Owen, Nathan, Hope, Cayden and I, we were all seated together around our very own small bonfire. Even Heaven had come to pay us a visit. Admittedly, I wanted this evening with the summer heat blazing around us to last forever, because even though I had known these six people since we were kids, I knew them better now. Way better than I ever had.

Hope and Nathan were showing Bree a dorky and adorable handshake they had made together. It involved a fist bump, high-five and bumping their hip against each other.

Bree laughed and said, "You guys are so weird, and I love it."

Owen and Heaven were seated in the sand on the other side of the bonfire, looking completely lost in each other as they were busy making out.

"Hey." Cayden bumped his leg lightly with mine to cut me out of my thoughts. "What are you thinking about?"

I smiled, softly. "Just that I've learned a lot. Like emotions never show any weakness, but avoiding and hiding them does. Also, sometimes we have to lose ourselves to find ourselves, and that's okay."

Cayden's smile widened, crinkling his eyes. He looped one of his arms around my shoulders and pressed his familiar lips to mine.  
As the feeling of immense joy filled my veins and the heat of the bonfire crawled up my toes, I held onto Cayden and we kissed for a while.

When he wandered over to Hope to prepare the marshmallows, I pulled out April's letter out of my shorts' pocket and opened it. Inhaling a deep breath, I unfolded the piece of paper and carefully started reading.