25. Keeping Promises

HOPE

HOPE

Something was wrong. After Nathan agreed over text messages to meet me at the factory for another skateboard lesson, he ended up with never showing up. Three days had passed and he had been ignoring me ever since.

Every time I tried making eye contact with him or approaching him at school, he looked away and quickly walked away as if he was desperate to get away from me. He ignored my texts and my calls and he stopped showing up at the diner, the bus station and even at the factory.

Meanwhile, the only thing going through my mind was, what did I do?

That was until I finally had enough and went to his backyard when it was evening, and tossed
small stones on his window.

He didn't show up.

There was only silence. Plain, utter, nerve-wracking silence.

I could climb trees with my retired arm but not a goddamn wall that led up to his room. However, I wasn't going to give up so easily. I could just do this the right way. Knock on the door like a normal person. The only problem was that I wasn't a normal person. I didn't know about Josephine Northwood, but Kevin Northwood didn't exactly admire me.

Here's to hoping a housekeeper would open the door and I could take care of the rest. Thus, when I arrived at the front door, I knocked twice and took a small, hopeful step back with my booth fingers crossed behind my back.

Please be a housekeeper. Please be a housekeeper. Please, please, please.

The door swung open, and I almost collapsed in relief.

The housekeeper had thick curly red hair, a round face, and warm blue eyes. She smiled and politely asked, "Hello, dear. Can I help you with something?"

"Hi. I was wondering if I could talk to Nathan. Is he here?"

"Yes, he is. Come on in," she said, stepping aside to let me in before closing the behind us. "He has a friend over. They are in his room. Just go ahead."

I nodded. "Okay. Thank you."

Nathan's big house was rather empty and soundless compared to the last time I was here on his birthday party. Everything was still clean, expensive, exotic and shiny though.

I climbed the long staircase up to his room and passed by a few doors through the hallway before I halted by a door that I heard shouting behind.

Cody's voice was laced with something in between concern and anger. "Seriously, dude. This is wrong! You can't keep doing this."