17. Underground Therapy

NATHAN

NATHAN

The bell crinkled over our heads when we stepped inside EverGreen Store, located across the diner. The time almost striking 10:45 P.M, it was empty and soundless.

Penny Lancaster, a twenty-year-old college drop out with pale pink hair and green eyes was putting small boxes of Pringles on a shelf beside the cash register.

As her hair bounced on her shoulders, she looked at us with surprise. "Nathan Northwood with Hope Lance? What a surprising combo. Who hit you two up?"

Glancing at me, Hope raised her brows before laughing. "Why does everybody think we're banging each other?"

I shrugged. "Beats me."

"A beer pong game and a few dares," Hope replied to Penny.

"Hey, girl." Hope greeted her with a grin and a fist bump.

"Hey. Are you looking for anything particular today? You know, other than food?" She asked, grinning.

Hope tilted her head pointedly at me. "He needs a skateboard."

"Okay, go ahead. You know that section better than me."

As I followed Hope further into the store, Penny yelled over her shoulder, "Just get out of here within twenty minutes! I have to close up. My books are waiting for me in my bedroom."

Hope whipped around and gave her a salute as she walked backward. "Got it, boss!"

When we reached a small section where skateboards were hanging on the wall, Hope glanced at me with that glow in her eyes. "Okay, which one do you like?"

Subconsciously, I scratched the back of my head. "Uh, I mean, should I just take one?"

"Which one is speaking to you?"

Puzzled, I blinked at the skateboards. "They're not really-I mean,-"

-Hope threw her whole head back as she groaned. Then, she looped an arm around my shoulders and said, "Northwood, stop being so uptight. Take a breath, chill out and choose one like you fucking wanna own it."

I rolled my eyes before hovering my gaze over the few skateboards displayed in front of me. There was a particular one with red wheels and the board itself was dark grey that sparked my interest.

I grabbed it and Hope threw her hands up in the air and cheered, eyes gleaming of proudness.

When we were trotting back to the cash register, Hope suddenly stopped and started jogging backward with panic flashing across her face. "I forgot the chips!"