24. Never Enough

NATHAN

NATHAN

The next day, I decided to go see Mr. Standall. There was no reason for me to ignore him. He wouldn't get off my back so easily. I didn't understand why I was freaking out so much over this. Heck, it was his job to care.

"How are you doing, kid?" He asked for the third time.

"I'm good," I mumbled. For the past ten minutes, since I arrived, I had been silently staring at the clock slowly tick its way around to 3 PM so I could get out of Mr. Standall's office. I didn't want to be here.

"You know what?" I planted my hands on the edge of his desk. "I don't understand. Why are we still doing this? Maya is back, she's happy and everything is okay. Why do you still want these sessions with me?"

A soft smile glued to his face, he shook his head. "Oh, no, these sessions have nothing to do with Maya. Not anymore. This is about you, now."

You

That was a scary word.

And then came the question I had tried to avoid for so long. "Tell me. What do you know about depression?"

For a small moment, I froze before my heart started beating irregularly. My hands turned cold. Beads of hot sweat broke out on my neck and my throat felt dry.

I quickly gave him a disapproving look. "Oh, no, I don't have...that. I don't-"

"-I didn't say that. I asked you a question. Could you please answer it?"

Dammit.

"I don't know. Just always being sad and some shit," I muttered under my breath as I shifted uncomfortably in my seat.

He sighed and leaned back in his seat.  "You know it'd be easier for both of us if you could just tell me what's bothering you. I promise I won't pressure you into anything more. Let me just give you some advice on anything you want."

So that was the key to get out of here. Sharing one of my problems with him. There was no ignoring it anymore. I had tons of those.

Avoiding his gaze set on me, I sighed and clenched my fists in my lap. "I've gotten obsessed with please this one person. It's annoying but I can't help it."

Satisfied, he smiled. "Well, sometimes you have to do what's best for you and your life, not what's best for that particular person. Sometimes, it's okay to be selfish in order to please yourself. Don't always please that one person. You should do what you want to do."