29. I Forgive You

NATHAN

NATHAN

The next day, I decided to go to school. Not because I wanted to but because the final exams were coming up soon and the coach had sent me a text, telling me to drop by his office for a talk.

Let's just say that I was not ready for that talk.

Even though I was freaking out on the inside, Hope's wild laugh calmed my nerves as she sped across the parking lot on her skateboarding and I, right behind her, did my best to keep up with her on my own skateboard.

A lot of people were staring at us with surprised faces and even more astonishing heads turned in our direction as we raced through the hallway and towards Hope's locker.

Hope jumped off Grey and put it in her locker while smiling triumphantly at me. "I won. You lost. I'll be waiting for those donuts drowned in chocolate frosting and a banana milkshake with three and a half ice cubes. Thank you very much."

Despite so many eyes glued to us, I grinned at her and hooked my own skateboard to my backpack straps. "Sure. Let's do it at the diner after school."

Shit. We were going on our first date. Was it our first? I felt like all of our hangouts in her bedroom could be called pretty awesome dates.

While Hope was lazily taking her books out, Connor, Trent and a few of the other guys on my team, stood huddled together a few feet away against the lockers. From all the morning chatter in the crowded hallway, it was hard to hear what they were saying but I could without doubt guarantee they were talking about us.

Connor rolled his eyes before flatly saying, "He's gonna get ditched when he least expects it. Bi people are like that. They're greedy and never satisfied."

Hope and I froze.

Oh, crap. Connor Landon just dug his own grave.

Hope's head whipped to the side in Connor's direction and she shot him the deathliest look I had ever seen on someone's face.

"He did not just say that," she whispered, her hands curling into fists as her eyes watered the minute rage crumpled her face.

I blinked once and she was marching towards them, but I was quick to grab her by her waist and yank her right back to me. "Hope, no-"

"-Let me go. I'm gonna kick his dimple right off his stupid face," she cut me off, angrily.

"-Hey, no." I turned her away from them and made her face me, cupping her cheeks. "You can't just jump on people like that. They're not worth it. Don't spoil your good mood because of those losers. They're only saying it to bother you. I'm sure of it."