23. Better Days

NATHAN

NATHAN

All the symptoms of dyslexia that I looked upon the internet before I came to Hope's house matched perfectly with Hope's behavior. During the past two hours we had been studying in her bedroom, she did have trouble with reading, revising and solving math problems.

"Why is math the only place where nobody wonders why the heck somebody is buying 95 melons and 40 pairs of shoes?" Hope wondered out loud.

"Lance! Focus!" I cried out.

"But I'm hungry!" she cried back.

I threw my head back from exasperation. "Your mom's gonna call us when dinner is ready. Just focus for a few more minutes."

Hope groaned once more and lazily focused her gaze on the notebook between us, which I solved an algorithm problem on.

After solving the problem I turned the notebook to her. "Okay. What do you think?"

She narrowed her gaze at the numbers before lifting her gaze to me. "I think...my brain is slowly and painfully dying."

I fell on my back in her bed.

Hope sighed and laid down next to me before murmuring. "I'm sorry."

My eyes ripped open and I turned my head to the side to meet her apologetic eyes.

A frustrated groan escaped through her mouth. "All I see when I try solving math problems is a sea of numbers floating in this jumbled blob."

"You don't need to apologize for that. I read it on the internet that words and numbers jumble up for you. It's not your fault, Lance," I assured, softly.

Surprised touched Hope. "You did research on dyslexia before coming here?"

I smiled, sheepishly. "Yeah. I, uh, wanted a little insight on how it's like for you."

Hope smiled and reached her hand out to ruffle my hair. "Aww. That's so nice of you. Thanks."

I grinned before sitting back up again. I closed the math books and shoved them to the side, causing relief to capture Hope's features.

I grabbed George Orwell's novel and held it up to her. "Okay. Let's take a break from math. Instead, let's start reading 1984."

Hope groaned before grabbing her own copy. She lazily started flipping through the pages, showing no interest whatsoever.

I was about to start reading when I got interrupted by my phone vibrating. I grabbed it and glanced at the enlightened screen where Maya's name popped up. It was just a simple hey with a smiley face.