30. Admiring Her

HOPE

HOPE

Two weeks later

"Nathan, where are we going?" I asked for the millionth time as he kept his palm over my eyes from behind.

"We're almost there. Just watch your step." Nathan chuckled, carefully leading me towards wherever he was taking me to.

After we finished the English project at my house, Nathan told me he wanted to take me somewhere just for fun, but he wanted it to be a surprise. Let's just say that the curiosity was killing me and I was rolling on my toes of impatience when we stopped and he slowly removed his hand covering my eyes.

I slowly opened my eyes and my heart froze in my chest when my gaze took in my surroundings.

Slippery tiles, the scent of chlorine, aqua blue water, empty bleachers and the echoes of cheering.

I was standing in the EverGreen High pool.

A surprised gasp escaped my closed up throat and I wrapped my arms around myself while I slowly twirled around to take in the whole view of the place that used to be like my second home only two years ago.

It smelled the same. It looked the same. It felt the same.

"I haven't been here in-" I began, quietly.

"-Two years? I know," Nathan said, smiling at me. "I heard from coach that it's open in the evenings, and I assumed you probably hadn't been here since the accident. So I thought, why not go visit? You are okay with this, right?"

In reply, I took a step towards him, cupped his cheeks in my palms and put my lips on his, kissing him twice.

My lips were only withdrawn a inch from his when I whispered, "Yeah, this is perfect. Thank you."

Pleased with my reaction, Nathan gave me a cheeky smile. "Wanna sit on the edge with our feet in the water?"

I inhaled deeply. "Yeah. Okay."

Nathan seemed to have noticed the sudden change in my behavior, so he grabbed my hand and we sat down on the edge, dipping our feet in the water. It reached halfway up our legs and I almost cried when the water felt so fuzzy against my skin.

I missed this.

I was wearing a pair of white shorts with the waistband tugged over a yellow tank top, but Nathan didn't roll his jeans up. Instead he let them get wet in the water. Assuming he probably didn't feel entirely comfortable with showing off his legs, I didn't say anything about it.