4. One-Way Ticket To Hell

HOPE

HOPE

Two years ago and even now, I had always been surrounded by people who complained about this town and everything in it. My dad, however, taught me to search for the good in everything.

Thus, I had found the good in a variety of things throughout my life. For instance, the car accident turned me into a responsible person, struggling made me independent and strong, and skipping school on Tuesdays for work, gave me an escape from math, which mildly said, was a horrendous subject and I would most likely drive over it with a truck and then smash it with a bulldozer.

Nonetheless, I was yet to find something good about EverGreen diner or what the people in this called it, the Green. I had gotten used to a lot of things about this diner after working here for the past two years. For instance, the whirring of coffee and milkshake machines, glasses and dishes clinking and clattering, the constant smell of burgers, fries, steamy coffee and not to mention, EverGreen diner's famous pancakes, which were never ever served without blueberry syrup.

Confession: I did not like blueberry syrup. (Gasp! Arrest me, bitches.)

Last, but not least (and most importantly), the gossip.

Confession: Never been a huge fan of gossip.

After my car accident, nothing big had happened in this small town. That was until, Maya Greene, the now ex-queen bee, ex-bully and ex-mean girl of EverGreen High and the richest girl in town committed suicide by jumping off the high school's roof. Let's just say that exploded a bomb in this town and her return created wildfire (which was still not fully blown out yet.)

Maya Greene had been the biggest gossip subject for six months now. Her attempt, coma, and return definitely topped my car accident. So far, nothing as big as those two "incidents" had occurred. Yet. Nothing was predictable in this town.

Anyway, the gossip wasn't just about Maya. It was about the basketball team. It was about Heaven Allison, who was recently admitted to an eating disorder treatment center. It was about Bree Johnson, the town's ex-slut (which made me extra angry, because nobody was allowed to gossip or bad-mouth my wife). Yes, in my head we were married.

To sum up, the town gossip took place mostly under this roof and it was pretty much about people who did something out of the ordinary- "special" that was worth talking about or it was about things happening that seemed fishy or interesting. I never really understood why people found such joy in sticking their noses in other people's lives.

Anyways, it was Tuesday, which was another day of skipping school to avoid enduring two endless periods of math. Admittedly, I would've chosen hours and hours of gossip over thick, heavy, crush-my-soul stacks of math problems any day. That's how much I hated math.