A Fresh Start

Jennie awoke; the warm light massaging her soft round face. She winced at the brightness and sat up, evading the Sun's rays.
"Awake finally?" The woman said as she dragged the long calligraphy brush across the rough white paper, creating flawless Hanja characters.
"Anyone who's being released is up bright and early the day of, do to the excitement alone. And yet you sleep in." she laughed.
Jennie slid off the top bunk bed and pulled a white plastic chair, seating next to the woman. The woman was much older, her black and grey hair tied back in a tight ponytail, gauges in each ear, and sleeved with beautiful traditional Korean tattoos from the neck down.
"Auntie Gi..." Jennie says softly; before she could say anything else, her bottom lip begins to quiver. Her eyes begin to burn with hot tears and her throat feels full. A tear drops onto her arm, covered in beautiful traditional Korean tattoos as well. Gi puts the brush down and embraces Jennie in a motherly hug.
"My beautiful jokattal(niece). There's no need for tears. I chose this life. You don't deserve to be in a place like this, I do. For my past sins, this is the only way I can find peace. You are young, you deserve to live a life, find love, and be at peace with yourself. You're life sentence is no longer yours to bear. You must forgive...you."
Gi squeezes Jennie closer and rubs her back. After a few moments of silence, Jennie was able to speak, even if it was through a stuffy nose and the salty taste of tears on her tongue.
"I have no one, you are the only family member still alive, still giving a shit about me. My mother is dead, everyone else has forgotten me. What will I do without you?" Jennie began to choke up until Gi lifted her head by her chin.
"All you need is yourself. Give yourself time to heal. Time to get back into the real world. And everything will fall into place. Your crime will be wiped clean, that will give you a chance at a new life. A fresh start." Jennie smiled.
"I'll visit you. I will never forget what you have done for me." She hugged Gi once again. They were interrupted by a prison guard who tapped the cell bar with his baton.
"Miss Kim. As of now, you are no longer under the containment of the Ministry of Justice. Gather all of your belongings, so that you may be released." He bows and marches off.
"It is time." Gi says as she pecks Jennie on her forhead. Jennie collects her small belongings she has gathered over the course of a three year sentencing. Finishing up she sits down and rests her head against Gi's shoulder as she writes. Moments later the prison guard approaches, the clanking of metal as he opens the cell with a ring of keys and slides it open.
"After you miss Kim." He bows. Jennie looks at her aunt one last time.
"Saranghae(I love you), auntie Gi."
"And I you, my sweet Jennie." They exchange one last meaningful hug and releasing, before either of them could break down into tears. The guard escorts Jennie outside of the prsion in silence. They stop by the start of an empty road just outside the prison that seems to lead no where. The air was different to her. It was new to her. It was fresh.
"Miss Kim. Your record has been wiped clean. Not so much as a speeding ticket. Your aunt has some pull in the justice system. This road leads to the city, walking you should make it in plenty of time before nightfall. And if I may, live life. For Gi. For yourself. She must have loved you dearly, always remember that." the prison guard nods.
"Thank you." Jennie replies with a smile. "I will. And take care of auntie Gi for me. Always."
"I will miss Kim. Your aunt has been a friend of mine for some time. She will always be in good hands for as long as I live. You have my word." He bows politely and walks back towards the prison entrance. The crunch of rocks under his boots fade away, and as Jennie faced the empty road, she was left with nothing but the sound of leaves rustling in the wind, the warm Sun grazing her soft skin and, her loud thoughts. She breathes in the sweet air and adjusts her black leather bag, ties her silky brown hair into a tight ponytail and whispers to herself, "Saeloun sijag(a fresh start)."