Rain

Jennie and Lisa walked quietly next to each other. The rain had gotten heavier, making white gusts of wind and water on the empty streets.

Jennie wanted to look up and see Lisa again, but she was too nervous that she might notice. The dark rain, and the hoodie she was wearing wouldn't have helped anyway.

After some turns and street crossing they finally arrived in front of a small building. The walk back to the event would've been shorter, but Jennie didn't mind and was happy to know Lisa lied about her apartment being closer.

They walked in, the staircase leading up was nearly pitch black. Jennie looked around, for Lisa to have been making money, this apartment seemed rundown.

Jennie of course didn't judge. "Shit. The power might be out again." Lisa said, more to herself than Jennie. Lisa lead the way, their shoes making loud creaks echo throughout the quiet apartment building.

All the way to the top and her room was at the end of the black hallway. Jennie felt safe walking behind Lisa. Her tall shadowy figure made Jennie want to hug her from behind.

Lisa grabbed the keys from her bag and with a twist and clinking she opened the door and allowed Jennie through first.

She looked around. The best she could see was Lisa's apartment was rather empty. A couch or two, with few decorations and no television. A few other things, but the lights were off so vision wasn't anyone's strong suit.

The only light was the blue window,  rain drops beating against it, giving the apartment a cozy home feel to it. "Does the power go out often when it rains?" Jennie asked, crossing her arms due to the cold.

"Mostly. This apartment doesn't keep up with anything." Lisa said disappointed as she locked the door.

"Why not move somewhere else?" Jennie asked. Lisa stayed quiet, her face Jennie wasn't able to see.

"Cold? You can sit on the couch, let me get you a blanket." Jennie saw that Lisa ignored her question. She was nervous, their conversation seemed like an awkward first date, if this encounter could be considered one. Jennie thought so.

Aside from the rain which gave ambience, the quiet pauses between their exchange of words did little to comfort the each of them.

Lisa came from the back room with a large soft blanket and some candles. "Here." She stood behind Jennie and wrapped the blanket over her shoulders. She rubbed her arms up and down to warm her up then quickly stopped.

Jennie slightly smiled. "Thank you." She snuggled the blanket over herself even more. She breathed in and could tell Lisa's scent was on it. It gave her comfort, it made her feel safe.

"I always have these candles handy." Lisa says as she sits next to Jennie; she began to light three candles. "Damn place never fixes anything. But they are quick to collect rent."

"Money isn't a problem for you anymore." Jennie smiled. She decided to ask the question again. "Why not move some place better? Anything would be better than this."

Lisa sighed and slid her boots off. "I don't really know. This place...it was here for me when I had nothing. It gives me a familiar feeling. Life hasn't been too kind to me. And if I'm being honest, I don't know where mine is going."

Jennie was shocked. This was a whole other side of Lisa. It was softer than previous encounters with "L". Jennie took her shoes off and raised her knees to her chest, covering up.

"Life hasn't been a friend of mine neither. But in that life, there's always somebody willing to be there for you. Maybe you already found that somebody." Jennie took a shot when she said that. She was hoping that comment wouldn't mess any of this up.