Chapter 5

Mr. Horan looked embarrassed. Then, in a flash, he cleared his throat, threw away his wrappers in the trashcan next to him, and turned around to start up his computer. I sat back in the chair, bemussed. Did Mr. Horan admit to liking me?

"Mr. Horan?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yes," He muttered so low i could bairly hear him.

I turned his chair around to face me, which was hard because he was a lot stronger than I was. "Do you like me?"

He nodded slightly, "But we can't be together. I'm your teacher."

"I know, but that doesn't mean we can't be friends. Does it?" I suggested.

He smiled. "Come over to the old dusty garage on Elm after school." I nodded with the biggest smile ever.

All morning Mr. Horan and I talked about our favorite things to do and just getting to know each other better. I was waiting for a text from Gia saying that she was here waiting, but it never came. Not even when class started. Finally, I decided to text her. I knew that Mr. Horan knew I was texting, but I didn't care.

I waited the rest of first hour for Gia's text. Second, it didn't come either. Third? Nope. Fourth? No. Lunch? I went to and empty classroom, which happened to be Mr. Horan's room. (How did I end up here?) I got my phone out and called Gia. It went straight to voicemail.

"Gia! Where the hell are you? I've been waiting for you to text me all morning. Call, text whatever," I knew I sounded worried, and truthfully I was. Gia hardly ever missed school.

I sat down at Mr. Horan's desk. I put my phone on his desktop and stared at it. I think I hoped by staring at it, Gia would call or text.

"No phones during school hours."

I looked up. Mr. Horan was in front of his desk, leaning over it, smiling. I didn't smile back, or even say anything. Mr. Horan narrowed his eyes and moved behind the desk. He put a hand on my shoulder and bent over.

"Hey, what wrong?" He sounded genually concerned.

"Do you know what happended to Gia?" I blurted after a few minutes?

"No, honestly. I was going to ask you this afternoon. Though, maybe she skipped," He suggested.

I got mad. "No, Gia would never skip. She's not like that!"

Mr. Horan didn't seem fazed at all by my outburst. He just nodded. He went to the door, locked it, then made me get up out of his chair. He sat down in it, then pulled me by the waist to sit down in his lap. I know this is wrong, but his lap felt safe and comfortable. It almost made me forget the reason i was upset. ALMOST. The whole period went by, no one came in, called or anything. It's like we wasn't here. I had Sociology sith hour, but I didn't care.

I was in the arms of someone I cared about. Maybe not loved yet, but maybe some day.