Chapter 7: Road Trip

It's Friday. Everyone had been hyping today up all week. Every time anyone seen you, they would tell you how many days until freedom and beaches. Fangs even came behind you once lifting you and screaming in your ear.
"What's today?" Reggie asked when you got to English.
"We are leaving for Florida for spring break," you laughed. "Been planning it for two weeks now."
"And I was not invited?" He scoffs.
"Sorry. Betty's place," you shrug. "But, I'll bring you a souvenir."
"Thanks babe," he sends you a flirtatious smile and you roll your eyes.
"I haven't been your 'babe' for over a year, Mantle," you remind him.
"And? We still get to walk together today for the game," he said. You forgot about that and you groaned. "Didn't think you'd be this upset."
"I forgot about the games today." You say into your hands. He pats your head and turns into his seat.
Half way into class they call all of the cheerleaders and game players to the gym. Cheryl was already there when you arrive. Her uniform already on and she was fixing her bow. You go straight to the locker room quickly changing into your own uniform and fixing your hair that was a complete wavy mess. You happy that you left your bag in your locker and didn't take it home.
"Alright lady Vixens, You slobs aren't going to mess up today. I won't tolerate any slip up. You play the games with your partners. Brittany. I don't care if your partner is Michael. You do it," she snapped as Brittany rose her hand to speak. "Now ladies. Let's go. Dazzle."
With that you all ran out with fake smiles plastered to your face. Music played throughout the gym. People were sat in the the bleachers waiting for the stupid day to be over. Cheryl's music began playing as you all set yourselves. You were a stunt again, now that your ankle was okay. So you were thrown into the air and into a double flip and land in a cradle of girls. Cheryl and Toni were also stunts. As you neared the finish of the dance, you are looped into a split and land to the floor. The crowd clearly surprised by what we were all able to do. And the last set of the dance was grabbing your partner for the games and doing a very choreographed move with that person. So Cheryl of course was in the middle with Toni. Brittany and Micheal on their left. You and Reggie to the left of them. Then two other teams on the right.
You gave Reggie a hard look, "Do not drop me."
He laughs, "Wasn't planning on it." You grab his arms and he whips your around his body so you land back in front of him. Faces inches apart and his arms wrapped tightly around your waist as you push yourself off of him and land back facing the crowd. Then you do a courtesy and stand next to Reggie as games are announced.
By the end of the day, you were completely exhausted. Your feet felt like footballs. Reggie and you had won first place in three games. Which didn't surprise you because you both were equally competitive.
"Hey! You look exhausted," Fangs laughed as you trudged over to the group. You changed your clothes into sweats and Sweet Pea's t-shirt. You only nodded in agreement. "Well let's go before you pass out or something. We should hit the road before 5 so we can get there at a decent time."
"Here's a water," Sweet Pea handed a bottle to you. Which you thanked him with a smile. "You did good in those games. First place in three out of five..."
"Reggie and I are equally competitive," you shrugged. "Let's go yeah?"
"You act like your movie for the rest of your life," Sweet Pea groaned grabbing your bags. "Honestly you packed so much."
"Road Trip!!" Fangs yelled. You smiled.
"You never know what's going to happen," you shrugged. "What if it rains or we get stuck in a hurricane?"
"That's not why you packed all this shit," Sweet Pea tossed your bags into the back of the car. "You just over pack. Fangs grab this." He handed Fangs a small black bag. "I on the other hand pack five outfits. And only five outfits." You laugh helping him rearrange your bags. "You're awful at this go get in the car."
"How much longer?" Fangs whined from the back of the car. The car load groaned in annoyance hearing that every 5 minutes for the last hour. "I can't deal with this stale car smell anymore."
"We still have another hour, Fangs," Pea sighed. "You aren't allowed to talk for the rest of the ride either." He sighed laying his head back.
"Turn the radio up," Toni called listening intently.
We won't hesitate
To break down the garden gate
There's not much time left today
Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long
Through all these cities and all these towns
It's in my blood, and it's all around
I love you now like I loved you then
This is the road, and these are the hands
From Mozambique to those Memphis nights
The Khyber Pass to Vancouver's lights
Knock me down and back up again
You're in my blood; I'm not a lonely man
There's no load I can't hold
A road so rough this I know
I'll be there when the light comes in
Tell 'em we're survivors
Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long
Life is a highway
I wanna ride it all night long
If you're going my way
I wanna drive it all night long
You all sang. Extremely loudly and disgustingly. You watched the sky fly by with green trees streaking half your vision. The air was warm and sweet. And it was completely dark out. You looked at Sweet Pea, who looked exhausted. You rubbed his shoulder and gave him a look that you hope meant, only 55 more minutes to go. He nodded at you and took a deep breath. The drive had been long. You were exhausted, but you didn't want to leave Sweet Pea the only one up. So, when the exit sign came up you literally screamed in joy.
"Oh my god!" You threw your legs down off the dash.
"What? What?" Everyone jolted. Sweet Pea swerved a little.
"It's the exit! One mile until the exit!" You bounced.
"Aye!" Everyone clapped.
"I hate you," Sweet Pea let out a breath. "Honestly. You can't just scream out of the blue in the middle of the night!"
"Sorry," you sighed. "Just excited."
You got out of the car and praised the land. You didn't stop the whole way down. Everyone slowly made their way into the place. It was gorgeous. You've never traveled down south. The air was salty and warm. You could hear the ocean even in the house.
"Gosh," Toni gasped. "And I thought Cheryl's house was extravagant." You nodded.
"So, What are we gonna do?" Sweet Peas asked leaning against the counter.
"Well I'm going to bed, T-T?" Cheryl asked. Toni nodded following her to a vacant room.
"Us too," Jughead said grabbing their bags and Betty followed. Fangs was already passed out on the couch. You actually had no idea where Kevin ran off to.
"Bunch of babies," Sweet Pea shook his head. Then he looked at you.
"I've never seen the beach," you sighed looking out the large window ahead of you. The moon glistened on the beach waters.
"Well," He gave you a look. "Go change then. I'll meet you back out here." You were confused, but did as told. You changed into your bathing suit and threw on shorts and a sweater. Brushed your hair and pulled it up into a ponytail again. You went back into the living room. "Ready for a life changing moment?"
"Are you going to drown me?" You asked jokingly.
"No... There's a difference between a fake beach like the riverside and a real beach," he explained. "I went riding with Toni once. She brought me to the New York beaches." You nodded.
"Am I going to get stung?" You asked as you both walked out of the house to the boardwalk. Sand was slightly cold but felt nice. He laughed putting his hands in his pockets.
"Very slim," he said. You noticed that he was wearing a cut off flannel.
"Do you always wear flannels?"
"No," he laughed. "Does it bother you?"
"No." He pulled you closer to the water. The water splashed towards you and you jumped at the coldness. But, it was refreshing. He wrapped his arm around your shoulders and you lent into him.
His arm was pulled from your shoulders and suddenly you were getting splashed with water. You screamed kicking water at him and running away. He grabbed you swiftly spinning you and getting you wet with the bearing wave. It splashed into you both making you squeal and hold onto him to get away. His arms were wrapped around your waist. Suddenly. You felt this wave of emotions and your hands met his face and you kissed him.