Chapter 37: Falling Apart

Hiram was on the verge of shutting down the whole town. He had the whole town under his wing and was processing jingle jangle and fizzle rocks through out it. He had moved sunny-side out and started his prison. Your parents never came back from the trip. Not found actually. Hiram probably had them thrown into the sea or something. But, you only hope that they are pulling what Kyle pulled. You couldn't get an investigation going during this shit. Things were going to Hell. And only weeks before graduation. Gordon was doing everything he could in the city, but it's not going well.
   "Well congratulation seniors. You no longer have to do anything," Mr Dean said. "You've all graduated basically. You could probably skip school for the rest of the year and there would be no punishment."
   "Giving ideas?" You smirk.
   "No," he said lips in a tight line. "It's that kind of attitude that made you lose your chance as Valedictorian and Salutatorian."
  "I'm still pretty high in the ranks," you shrug. "Anyways. You know, Mr Dean, I will always appreciate your teaching."
   "Well, I would say the same, but you were kinda a pain," he shrugs and the class snickers. "Alright, I chose the movie." He turns the overhead on. Most classes you watched movies, so you grew bored. At least you had a free period in gym with a few of your friends. 
   "Fogarty, Pea, Mantle, and Y/L/N," your coach calls. "Office is calling." You all look up from your things confused. "That means go."
   "What's this about?" You ask the three.
   "Probably something stupid," Reggie sighed as you opened the office door.
   "Uncle Gordon?" You Stop mid-tracks.
   "Your Uncle has pulled all of your records and is pulling you out of school. He requested you get your diploma early, so we will mail it to your new address. I'm sorry to hear about your parents and I hope their service is lovely in New York. We've called your friends for a goodbye," your principal says.
   "What do you mean? You can't just pull me out of school," you say.
    "He can. He is on your records and your parents requested that he would be able to take you whenever," your principal speaks slowly for you. "And, with your parents being found. I think it is appropriate to be with family."
   "They were found?" You ask and they nod. Sweet Pea puts a hand on your shoulder. "Where?"
    "In Vermont," Pea says. "Gordon told us last night on the phone. You have to go with him to New York. You're safer there."
   "What is going on here?" You say backing away from the group. "I'm not leaving. Not because you told me to or because Hiram Lodge. And, you didn't tell me?"
   "I told him not to," Gordon says. "I wanted to be here. But, you do have to go. Jordan is right."
   "Jordan?" Reggie says and you can't even think. "Your name is Jordan?" He chuckled.
   "Shut up." He says and looks at you now. "It's alright. When this is over and we get rid of Hiram, however, we do. I will come get you."
"I am not leaving," you say. "I am eighteen years old. I can make my own decisions."
"Staying isn't the right one," Fangs sighed. "You know that. Hiram wants you dead just as much as he wants Archie Andrews. So, you gotta go. Run away where he can't find you. Be safe."
"You promised you would," Pea said. "I will make you go. You know that. Please. Before I do something you don't like."
"You already have," you say. "But, I don't care. That's what we do. We do things we don't like and we forgive each other."
"Come on," Reggie said putting his hands on your shoulders. "Babe, you know we don't want this. But, you gotta go." You shake your head once more and he wraps his arms around you. His scent was always enticing to you.
"I don't wanna go alone," you say. "Please. I don't want to leave you." You give Pea pleading eyes. Everything was happening too fast.
"Go with her," Pea said. "Reggie you are the only one I trust to go with her and keep her safe."
"What?"
"Go with her, Mantle. Be with her. I'm done," Pea has a coldness in his voice before he pushes out the door and disappears.
"Okay," Gordon says. "Let's go you two."
"Bye, Sis," Fangs said running his hand down your arm. "Don't make any new best friends. I'll miss our mornings together. See you when you get back."
"Bye Fangs," you let out a breath and a few tears escape your eyes, he wraps his arms around you. "I love you."
"Love you too," he says in your hair then pulls away. You are ushered to a black car with Reggie and your uncle. You lean your head against the tinted window and watch the sky as you leave your home. Reggie sets a hand on leg, trying to ease your mind. You give him a thankful smile.
"You two are Lydia Dove," Gordon hands you a folder. "And, you are going to be Charles Melton. I haven't got papers for you yet, but I will when we arrive in Nebraska."
"Nebraska?" You both say looking at him.
    "I thought we were staying in the city?" Reggie asked.
"Wasn't gonna tell anyone," he shrugs. "Privacy and secrets. Don't trust anyone. You need to cut and dye your hair. And you need to get rid of anything that screams Riverdale. So, we are stopping in the city." You don't say anything. "New wardrobes for you both. I gotta house key for you as well. It's a small one bedroom place. Was not planning on two of you. I'm sure you can put twins or fulls in the bedroom though. Share a room."
"Okay," Reggie says. "We will figure it out. And, I already know how to do your hair." You look at him. "That rose color you like so much." You know he is only trying to lighten the mood, but you just give him an annoyed look.
"I'm glad you are making light of this situation, but I would appreciate if you didn't try to make me like this. Because, I won't," you sigh. "I just wanna be left alone." He nods and does as you wish.
You stop at a small hair salon right outside of the city. Gordon tells them your aliases and leaves you too it. You don't say anything the whole time, just nodding when he would ask you questions. You watch them snip your hair away and then apply dye. Taking away everything that makes you, you. Someone covers your Serpent tattoo with a new one and someone else buys your new clothes. The next thing you know, you're at an airport on a flight west. And once you land someone drives you to your new house and it's already furnished. People were moving a large bed out and putting two full sized beds in. Reggie puts a hand on your lower back and you sigh. You couldn't even realize everything that was happening. You didn't want to. Everything was happening too fast. You lost everything in a day. Your friends, your family, your home, and your life. Nothing was making sense to you anymore. You felt nauseous.
"It's alright," he says. "They will get him out. You will go home."
"I don't feel good," you groan, and run to the bathroom. You barely get to slam the door before you feel it rising in your throat.
You are leaning over the toilet, when Reggie knocks, "Y/N, are you okay?"
"I'm fine," you say. "I'm just sick."
"It's a lot to take in. Can I come in?" He asks through the shut door. "Y/N?"
"Whatever," You say and he opens the door. He sits next you on the floor rubbing your back. "I.. I don't know what is going on."
"I know," he said. "I don't know either. At least my parents won't care or even notice." He sighed. "I'm sorry."
"Don't be, it's not your fault," you say. "It's mine. I'm too soft."
"It's not that. But, we don't want you to get hurt. I won't let you get hurt," he said still rubbing your back. "I love you." You break into tears and he pulls you into him. He doesn't say anything else, he just holds you close.
That's what happens for a while. Two months he just comforts you when you break and get sick. He talks you to sleep at night and stays with you after. He makes sure you eat and walk. You didn't talk much to anyone, including him. You stay in your room sulking. Watching the outside as cars and people drive by. Watching wind hit the branches of the newly bloomed trees. The sun rise and set at the same time every day. You couldn't eat much, but Reggie made you eat what you could. Days dragged on and on. Every hour or so Reggie would come and make sure you were still there. Not that you had any energy to jump out the window. But, you thought about it. He's like an angel to you, and you barely notice him through it. Caught up in the shit of your own life and it takes you so long to catch it. But, finally after the two final months drag by. You realize his sacrifice. You are no longer angry at yourself or the world. You bring yourself to go to the kitchen and make yourself food. Pondering over whether or not you want to actually go outside and see where you are.
"Reggie," You say leaning over the kitchen bar. "I'm sorry for not being there for you. You are so great. I don't know what I would do without you." He comes around the bar and towers over you. "You're so great and I don't deserve it. I'm an awful friend."
"You're not awful. You are just grieving," he says. "It's alright. I know you are frustrated and depressed. You didn't get the warmest goodbye or whatever. You left in a fight. It made sense for you to act that way. I do not blame you for any of it."
"That's not the point. You are going through the same shit as I am. But, you helped me and didn't complain. You sat through all of my crap. You left your home for me," you point up at him. "You left everyone for me. Why? This only happens in the movies. No one leaves everything they have for someone else. But, you did. Why?"
"Because, like I said before. I love you. We have been together for our whole lives, I can't do anything for you if your half way across the country," he nods. "We are family."
"You keep saying that, but we both know that's a lie. You still love me, Reggie. I know you do. Just say it, please," you sigh. "Tell me the truth." You close your eyes for a moment waiting for him to respond. He was probably confused. You were right, when you look up at him again. His eyes are clouded with confusion and something you haven't seen before. Something different. It wasn't anger but it wasn't happiness either. It was something in between.
   "You're right," he said. "I am still in love with you. I never stopped." You weren't expecting him to actually say it. You didn't know what to say to him, you've been so confused these last few months. You couldn't even think of what to say back. Did you love him?
      Of course you did, Reggie was your first love. He was the one who had always stuck with you through everything. He never had done anything to hurt you, intentionally. You had no reason not to love him. But, you love Sweet Pea. But, he made you go. And he said Reggie could have you. So maybe he didn't love you like you thought.
   "Say something," he sighs and leans against the bar with his arms crossed. "Now."
   "I... I wasn't expecting you to actually say it," you give an awkward laugh. "I'm conflicted."
   He laughs, "Conflicted?"
   "Yes! Conflicted. I don't know how I feel. I know, Sweet Pea and I aren't together. He made it pretty clear when we left. And," he cuts you off by grabbing your face and connecting your lips with his. Kissing him was nothing like kissing Pea. He was soft and gentle. He didn't move too fast or too slow. His hands stayed at the sides of your face in your hair. It was familiar. His scent fills your nose and overrides your senses. One of his hands go to the middle of your back and pulls you close.
   "Does that help at all?" He asked, you hear the smirk before you see it. You roll your eyes with a sigh. "Wanna go for a walk? You've been locked up in this place for months. It's nice out and you can breathe clean air."
   "Yeah. That sounds nice," you nod. "I've finally realized that we're here. And, I'm sure our neighbors probably want to see us. It's weird we haven't been outside the house."
   "You haven't. I have," he corrected. "I've been running in the mornings."
   "Oh. Then, I'm the weird one," you laugh. "Let's go."