Chapter 34: New year, New Arguments, and New Choices

The new year was starting off great. You and Pea were still strong, no one had tried to hurt you or anyone else, and you were getting close to taking down Hiram. No one said anything about the two of you getting married anymore, which eased a lot of Pea's anxiety. You could go to school now, which was great because you weren't bored anymore. You were cheering again, thankfully, Cheryl and Toni helped you learn the dances. Everything was actually going smoothly.
"Miss Y/L/N," Mr Dean said. "Nice to see you back in class. Now, I would appreciate if you didn't draw while you're supposed to be taking notes." You give him a confused look, but notice you started doodling.
"Sorry," You sigh. He nods and started lecturing again. A few snickers were heard across the room, but you ignored them. At lunch, you were able to keep focused better with everyone talking. "Ugh. Mr Dean hates me."
"He hates everyone," Toni laughed.
"Well, he called me out in class because I was doodling in my notebook," You groan. "I just got back."
"Maybe you shouldn't have been doodling," Sweet Pea chuckled and everyone nods in agreement.
"You guys are supposed to be on my side," you remind them and they shrug. "Thanks. You're so supportive. You know what else is weird? Like six girls were staring at me earlier. You know why?"
"No," They all said.
"Alright," You say taking a drink of your water. "Well I should get to Mrs Bean's before the bell because you know. See you after school."
You walk down the hall, noticing more girls staring at you. You had no idea what was going on, and when you walked into the class a few followed. You couldn't think of their names, but they've been in a few of your classes over time.
"So, you're with that Serpent right?" One asked and you nod. "Is it true that you missed school because he hit you?"
"What? No," you say confused.
"So, is it because you guys did it too rough?" The other asked and you were disgusted.
"No!"
"Really? Then did you have like an abortion then?" She asked.
"No! I missed school because I was attacked on the trail near the river by a psycho like the two of you," you say. "Why would you even ask those questions?"
"Because, everyone is saying that you got gang banged or something," the first girl shrugged. "We didn't know what to believe. Like, how did you get him to settle down?"
"I wasn't..." you had no idea how to talk anymore. "You guys are disgusting. None of that happened, and my relationship is private. Please back off."
"Guess she's not a slut," the second girl said walking away with the other. The rest of your day went a little like that. You heard the whispers around you and you were beginning to grow super annoyed. Someone has said that you faked it all to get away from Sweet Pea. Another said that you were pregnant and wanted to keep it a secret. Which made no logical sense. You met Pea in front of the school and groan.
"What's wrong?" He chuckled.
"Oh you know, rumors going around school," you say. "That make no sense at all, yet people believe them."
"What rumors?" He asked.
"Well one is that I had your baby over break," you say and he has to replay the words in his head to process. "Exactly. Another is that I was gang banged. My favorite, is that I faked it all to get away from you." He furrowed his eyebrows. "Yeah. Try being asked that. Then, some girl asked how I got you to settle down, because you're a player."
"Wow."
"I know," you sigh sitting on the steps. "I don't understand where people come up with all of this shit."
"Hey! Did you know that you two were eloped?" Fangs asked coming up to you. "Guess it happened over break."
"I heard," you groaned.
"Everyone here is either fucking horny of mean," Fangs mumbled. "There are some stories that involve me. People are saying that, you and I did it and that's why you weren't at school."
"You wish," Pea scoffed. "How do we get rid of these rumors?"
"Find something else to entertain the student body," you say. "The only thing that would do that is someone starting another riot night... Don't even think about it."
"Wasn't," both boys said.
"Right.. Well we don't let it bother us," you sigh. "Sweet Pea. Don't get into fights."
"You should start a douchebag jar," Fangs chuckled. "For every time he does something like that, he has to put a dollar in."
"I would be broke," Pea admitted.
"Yeah you would," you and Fangs laugh.
"Reggie!" You say. "He's like King Bulldog! He can fix this. He's probably at practice now too!" You jump up and run back into the school, both boys following. "Reg!"
"Yes?" He jumped as the three of you approach his locker. "You guys look odd."
"Now you know what it's like to look at you," Sweet Pea said and Fangs high fives him.
"I'm guessing you heard the rumors?" You say. "Tell your bitch boys to stop them. They're degrading."
"I haven't heard any rumors, but I will ask," Reggie said and you cross your arms. "And, I will make sure they are ended. Anything else?"
"No," you say. "But thank you. You know when you hear them, they will piss you off."
"Alright," he said. "I have to go to. Goodbye, babe. Serpents."
"Leave it," You say. "He's helping. Let's go home." You guys reach the door and hear a commotion. You all turn to see a group of students surrounding a fight. Then you heard someone say it was Mantle. You drop your things and push through the crowd. "What the hell is going on?"
"None of your business," a guy said. "Don't worry, you'll have your fun with me later." You gave him a look. "No wonder all the boys want to get a turn with you."
"Dude," You shake your head. "You're a fucking dick. And, even if I was a slut, like you say, then you wouldn't be one of them."
"I bet. That's why you slept with the whole south side," he chuckled and hit your ass. You slap him. "Like it rough, yeah?" You roll your eyes and push passed him to the middle of the circle. Reggie was on top of another guy, fist hitting his face. You stopped.
"Reggie!" You say. "Stop... Seriously, it's not worth it." You swallow as you get closer to the two. You have never seen him so mad. Whatever was said, it had to be bad. You grab his arm, trying your best to pull him away. He obviously didn't know it was you, because he gave you a raged look like he was gonna hit you himself.
"Mantle," Pea shouts from behind you. "Back the hell off. Now." Reggie comes through and drops his hand. "Don't ever a raise a hand at her again. I will kill you."
"I'm sorry," he panted.
"I know," you let out a breath you didn't know you were holding.
"What is going on here?" Me Dean said pushing through the students. "Mr Mantle."
"Sorry, sir, this pig was calling one of my friends a rude name," Reggie said. "I asked him to stop, but he didn't."
"I am guessing this is the friend?" Mr Dean eyed you.
"Are you slut shaming?" You ask. "You know, I have about five lawyer uncles who need a good case. I will not hesitate to sue you, and this school."
"I am sure," he said.
"Is it shaming when she likes it?" You heard the guy from earlier chuckle. You snap, punching him with all of your strength. He stumbles back into one of his friends. "Fucking bitch!"
"Yeah? At least I'm getting somewhere in my bitch life then you are in your asshole time. Say something about me again and I won't be so generous to your face," you threaten. "You're about to really see which rumors are true."
"Enough!" Mr Dean bellows. "Principals office all five of you!" The crowd dispersed and the five of you follow Mr Dean to the office.
"Can I ask what happened?" Me Weatherbee asked you. "It's not like you."
"Well, those guys were spreading rumors about me all over school, Principal Weatherbee, calling me a variety of degrading names. One of them even touched me inappropriately. I was not going to stand around any longer and listen to that pig call me more names behind my back!" You say.
"I see," he nods. "You believe your actions were just?"
"I do. And, before you go on to yell at me. Imagine if your daughter was getting bullied this way. I no longer felt safe with the school system, because one of YOUR teachers had began to slut shame me as well," you say. "Imagine once this gets out. The news. You would lose your job and so much more. My dad doesn't tolerate poor teaching, that is what killed my brother. He will not hesitate to call his lawyer friends and have them sue you, Mr Dean, and the school. The only ones who truly need to be punished are the two boys out there who called me names and slapped my ass."
"I understand," he nods again. "But, you did put your hand on another student. As did Reginald."
"It's self defense!" You argue. "Are you saying, if I were not in school and some guy touched me inappropriately that I should not defend myself?" He shakes his head with a sigh. "Exactly. How is that any different here?"
"I suppose that it is not, but that still does not justify for Mr Mantle's actions," he said.
"I understand, but you do know that his mother is a lawyer as well. So, if she decides to go public about the way you run this school... Many of her friends across the country would surely make your life hell," you shrug. "Up to you sir. I suggest you handle the bullying in your school. It's becoming a problem."
"Sit down. You do not run this school. I do. You will not tell me how to do my job," he said.
"I'm not. I'm just suggesting you get your priorities in order," you shrug. "I would never tell anyone how to do their job. That would be disrespectful, especially to a very authoritative man in town."
"Go home," He said. "I better not see you in here again any time soon."
"Come on Pea," you say walking out the door.
"What did you do?" He asked following you.
"If you learn anything from Cheryl... It's how you get what you want by threatening someone else," you explain. "I just used my contacts and reserves. I have lawyers who are willing to do anything for me. They're like family. Including, Mrs Mantle. So, I used that to my advantage."
"You're scary," he chuckled. "I kinda like this dark, authoritative side of you."
"Do you?" You ask with a smirk. "I don't like it. It makes me feel like Hiram."
"You use it for good though. It was unjust of him to shame you that way and you were standing up for yourself," Pea said. "Don't worry about that. Wanna go home, and you can lay down?"
"Yeah," you laugh. "My hand hurts from hitting that block head."
"I bet," he laughed and opened your door. "You're a little fighter now. What's my use then?"
"Pleasure," you shrug and he laughs again. "Joking. I don't like fighting. But, Fangs taught me how to take care of myself. Obviously, that worked out for the better."
"Well, I'm proud of you for hitting him," he said grabbing your hand. "Honestly, it was kinda hot. Your little dark side really pulled it together."
"You think everything is hot," you roll your eyes. "I could have antennas and you would think that's the hottest thing in the world."
"Probably not," he said. "That would be weird."
"You know my point," you say. "Why can't we have a normal life? Without the fighting and shit? I wish our loves were normal."
   "Me too," he sighed. "But, that's about impossible for me, because I'm a Serpent." You nod. "That reminds me, we never talk about you joining Serpents." You sigh and nod. You didn't know if you even wanted to join the Serpents. It comes with violence and whatever else. And, just the initiation for women, is gross.
   "What do you want me to do?" You ask, not wanting to start a fight.
    "Whatever you want to do. I'm not going to force you to do anything, but I would want you to at least have help if anything were to ever happen to me," he said. "Sometimes, I don't know if I want you even close to the Serpents, though."
    "That makes no sense," you say. "And, it doesn't help me make my decision, at all."
   "I don't want to sway you. I want you to make it on your own," he explained. "If I told you that I wanted you to join, it would be like if I asked you to marry me on live television. There is no way you could say no. I don't want you to make a decision like this based on what I want, because I don't want you to hate me for it."
   "I'm smarter than that. I don't just go making decisions because someone wants me to. I think things through. And, I've thought about it," you look at him. "Of course my mind goes to the whole dance in front of drunk asses. It's so gross."
   "How do you know about the dance?" He asked.
   "Toni told me... I was trying to make up something to you and she told me not to do the dance etc," you explain. "Then we talked about it again over the summer and Betty said it was like women standing up to the men. So I am very conflicted."
"How is it sticking up to the men?" He asked.
"Because, the men would never be able to get up there and take their clothes off," you shrug. "I know you wouldn't be able to get up there and strip and dance. I think the only guy I know who can is Fangs."
"So you don't know," he clarified and you shake your head. "Alright..." Did he actually want you to join? Was it that important? You didn't understand, but you don't understand a lot when it comes to the Serpents. You both sat in a weird, awkward silence on the way to his place. You weren't sure if it would pass. The air was thick and you were sure that there was thin ice holding the subject. Joining the Serpents would mean that you were devoting a part of your life to them, and you weren't sure if you were ready for that. But, it would also mean that you always had someone there for you, a family that would always be there. It would also make you closer to your friends. But, with that comes more danger and you already had a lot. Of course someone would help you. You determine that you wanted to talk to Cheryl, Toni, and Betty about this. They would help make up your mind. You send them a quick text, hoping for a even quicker reply. Thankfully, they did.
"I think I'm going to hang out with the girls today," You say. "Cher wants a sleepover. You should have Jug over. The three amigos."
"We are not the three amigos," he chuckled. "But, go have fun with them. Don't have too much fun though, don't wanna lose you to someone." He turns down Cheryl's road, instead of continuing straight.
"No promises," you smile. "About the fun part..."
"I know," he said shaking his head. "I'll see you tomorrow?"
"Of course," you nod. "Have nothing better to do."
"Bye," He said kissing your forehead. "Don't do anything stupid, like chase after a bad guy." You laugh a little. "I'm serious. Don't go throwing yourself into danger."
"I won't," you sigh. "I don't do it intentionally. Most of the time." He shook his head looking up at the top of the cab. "Bye, Pea." He muttered a goodbye as you shut the door behind you.
"What's the emergency?" Toni asked.
"Me," you sigh. "I've encountered a crossroads. And, the three of you would know the most about it and can help me make a decision."
"What's wrong?" Betty asked. "Are you pregnant? We don't know anything about that! We just helped Polly."
"Oh my god! I am not pregnant," you sigh. "I wish all of you would stop jumping to that. And, you know what, if I do end up pregnant soon, I'm blaming it on every single one of you. Pass it along to the others... I need help choosing whether or not to join the Serpents."
"What made this come up?" Cheryl asked.
"Pea asked... And, Jughead's gift. And, all of you talking about it when we went to try the candy at Smith's," you sigh. "And I don't know what to do." You explain everything that was running through your head about it. They nod along until you finish. "What do I do?"
"All of your points make logical sense," Betty nods. "When I did the dance, Jug broke up with me. He didn't want me apart of that. But look at me now... 'Serpent Queen' and helping them."
"If you joined, it would make a big difference with the rivalry between the north and the south," Toni added.
"It would also give you protection," Cheryl said. "You know everyone is basically out to get you."
"They would never leave you without help," Betty nods to Cheryl. "No matter the circumstances."
"The Serpents are more than a gang," Toni said. "We are family and we protect each other. We are loyal to all, unless someone brakes a law. But, no Serpent gets left alone."
"So, I should join?" You ask. "I don't want to throw myself into this and you guys act like it wasn't the right thing."
"It is," Cheryl nods. "Like Veronica says, you are endgame."
"Alright," You nod, hyping yourself a little. "How do I start the tasks?"