Chapter 42: Welcome

You managed to get some sleep between contractions. Your nurses came in every few minutes to make sure everything was alright. You were dilated seven centimeters now and you have to get to ten. It's been hours and you were tired of all of this. Alice stayed with you the whole time. F.P. and Fred showed up for moral support. You haven't seen the guys since they went looking for Fangs and Sweet Pea. Kevin and Archie went to the waiting room to give you space. Cheryl, Veronica, Betty, and Toni also stayed for a while. Toni went to go get the guys with F.P and Fred.
"Mom, you should go get something to eat," Betty suggested. "We are here. It would probably make her feel better."
"Yeah, Mrs Cooper, you need to take care of yourself too," you say. "Go eat and rest. Obviously, this is gonna be a while."
"Alright," she sighed. "Call if you need anything." You nod and she grabs her purse to leave. You turn the TV on flipping to TBS. They were playing an old 90's show, that was actually pretty funny. You were gonna find this at home. You found it sardonic that it was on an episode where one of the main characters, Rachel, was having a baby with one of her friends and lovers. You found an odd pleasure in choosing which character fit your own friends. Of course, Archie being faithful Joey along with Reggie. Fangs was definitely a Phoebe and you wanted to say that Kevin kinda was too. But Kevin was also kinda a Monica. Jughead of course was Chandler. Cheryl was also a Monica. You wanted to say that Reggie also had a Ross side, but you didn't know where to place Betty and Sweet Pea. Betty was sweet, smart, and had a weird dark side. She could be Phoebe, but she's too smart. She could be Monica, but she's not as manic. She's definitely not Rachel though, you could probably put Toni in the Rachel area. She had a fun side. But, you also wanted to put Cheryl in the Rachel category. Definitely, with Veronica. They had the rich girl vibe that literally punched you in the throat when they spoke to you.
"Guys," You sigh. "I'm getting too bored. I'm putting you in categories of the Friends cast. Someone, please entertain me."
"Oh, honey," Cheryl laughed. "Believe me, soon you will have the most entertainment you will need. And, it will never go away."
"She's right, you will long for these boring moments," Veronica said. "Cherish them." She gives you a helpful smile. "No matter how cute this baby will be. He will be a handful."
"I am still hoping it comes out a girl," Cheryl sighed. "Miss interpretation."
"That rarely happens," Betty chuckles.
Sweet Pea's P.O.V——————————————
"What are you doing?" I find Fangs pacing in front of the chapel. I've been walking around the outside of the hospital for a while. I lost track of time. I hadn't really looked for him, I was too caught up in everything in my head. All of the panicked thoughts about me actually being a father.
"I remember when we were here with mom," Fangs sighed. "You know, when she first got sick. I tried keeping it to myself for a while, but I told you, eventually. The beginning was probably the hardest part of it all. Trying to find out what was wrong, then dealing with it alone, then having to find ways to pay for the treatment. Thank god Jug found a job for us. For me."
"Yeah," I nod. "It really helped."
"That's not why I walked out," he confesses. "I walked away because I was thinking. How much we've all grown and what hell we all have been through. Some more than others. Like myself. And, you of all people are having a baby. In this god awful town. You always said you didn't wanna have kids."
"Well, things change."
He nods, "You have. You're acting like you aren't scared. Like this didn't shift your entire life. I see right through you."
"Of course I'm scared," I sigh. "I didn't ask for her to get pregnant. I didn't ask for all of this. I just wanted her. That's all. I wanted her all for myself. Because, as much as I try not to be. I am selfish. I want to keep her all for me. I want to have her. She's like a drug that I don't understand."
"I know," Fangs chuckled. "You're so good with her. A complete different person really. She gave you feelings, which confused the shit out of you."
"I've always had emotions. They just mainly stayed at anger," I shrug. "I am very good at concealing them."
"Do I know it," he said. "I'm gonna be an uncle. And a godfather." I laugh. "You're gonna be a dad. Like a real one."
"As supposed to fake dad's," I say. "But, I know. It's really kicking in right now. You know these last few months it's been, kinda like a false reality. I didn't quite believe it. But, then when I was in there with her. The doctors and everyone calling me dad. I can't be a dad. I didn't even have one growing up. How do I even do it? I mean for god fucking sake, I was barely taking care of myself these last few years. You seen my place." He nods. "What do I do when he cries? How do I know what he wants? What if when he gets older he wants to join the Serpents? Or gets hurt? Or does drugs? What do I say to him when he asks about how to get girls.... Or guys?"
"Give him the speech about birds and bees," Fangs shrugged. "Honestly, do people even give the talks anymore?"
"I don't know!" I groan and bury my face in my hands. "I don't know what I am going to do. I know nothing. I am going to have a kid, that I won't even know how to interact with. He's gonna start crying and I am gonna leave him in a locked room." Fangs snorts and I give him a glare. "I'm not even joking. I am literally going to be the worst father in the world."
"Yeah you are," Jughead shook his head. "Especially if you miss the birth of your first born."
"What are you two doing?" Fangs asked.
"Came to find you," Reggie said. "You're freaking Y/N out and she can't concentrate. What the hell are you two doing? Hiding?"
"No," I scoff.
"Really? Because it's been a good hour or so," Jughead had accusation clear in his voice. He wasn't always so stupid.
"I came to find Fangs, dumbass," I lean against the wall. "It's a big hospital."
"Yeah, well funny how it took us five minutes to find you," Reggie chuckled, but there was no cheerfulness in his voice. "You've got a lot of nerve pulling this right now. Especially, after you spouted all of that crap to her back there."
"Me? You're the one who literally has been waiting for me to screw up!" I shout. "Well, here you go. I did. I am gonna be a lousy father and you will always be there to swoop in and save the day. Like always."
"I'm not waiting for you to screw up," Reggie rolled his eyes. "I was actually looking up to you. How you jumped into all of this with no fear in the world. I was admiring you. But, now I don't even know what to think of you. You would miss this? You think this is cool because she told you that it didn't matter? I know what I'm thinking now. I really wanna kick your ass." I raise an eyebrow.
"Calm down," Jughead intervened looking between you both, hands raised.
"You have no idea what's going through my head," I laugh. "You have no idea the life I lived because I was born on the wrong side of the tracks. I was kicked around as a kid. Then, my parents ditched me to go Who the hell knows where. So, I live with my grandparents. First my grandfather dies. He was always the guy I looked up to. Then grandmother goes. She turned real bitter after he died and we knew it was a matter of time. So, when I was a freshman, I was taking care of myself. No father figure to tell me what's right or wrong. No one to be there for me when I was being pushed around. God I had no one for a long time. I didn't call anyone a 'friend' for a long time. Not even Fangs. So, forgive me for not wanting my kid to have the same awful life like I did. And forgive me for being scared because I have no idea what the hell I am going to do! I am going to be a horrible father." Reggie sighs, and I know he is trying to think of something to say back.
"You don't think we all had these thoughts?" Fangs and I jump at the sound of Fred Andrew's voice. "Every first time father goes through all of this. Really, every parent goes through this. You all think you're gonna be bad parents. Well, I hate to break it to you. In someone's eyes, you will be. There is always gonna be someone out there who thinks you aren't doing a good job. But, as long as you know you are doing your very best; that is enough. That means that you are being as good as anyone can be."
"There ain't a perfect parent in the world, boy, hell even Fred Andrews himself ain't perfect," F.P. said. "He's been through some crap. Letting his boy go after his teacher and all."
"I didn't let him," Fred shook his head. "But, he's right. There are no perfect parents. Especially, not here in Riverdale."
"You of all people should know that," Toni rolled her eyes. "I honestly want to punch you in the face right now."
"You can't reach my face," I laugh. "How am I supposed to do this? Be a dad?"
"You just gotta keep your head up," F.P. said. "Because whether you like it or not. You have a baby comin into the world. He's yours and no one else's. If you miss it, it's gonna be the biggest regret of your life. Believe me. And there's a scared girl in that room, who needs both of you. She is about to go through one of the most traumatizing experiences in her life, but it's gonna be the best thing she's ever done. She is in pain and you two are out here talking about something that doesn't matter."
"I wouldn't say it doesn't matter," I shrug. Toni rolls her eyes and crosses her arms.
"Dude." Fangs hissed. "He's right. It doesn't matter, because you are gonna have Y/N with you every step of the way. And she always helps. And right now you are missing the most important time in both of your lives. And, I am not there for my best friend." I give him a confused look. "One of my best friends. Still you have to get your ass in there!"
"I left to find you," I roll my eyes.
   "Well, you found me," Fangs laughed. "Let's go, daddio. You have a baby being born and you aren't gonna miss it."
"You are gonna hate yourself if you do not get your stalky ass in there," Toni said. "And, if you don't do it soon, I will find a way up there. You aren't do this."
   "You heard them," Jughead said. "Go! No walk."
   "You realize, that I am bigger than you? And I am not afraid to knock you out?" I ask. "Because, it seems like you do a lot of dumb shit that really makes me think that you want it." Jughead raises his hands and backs up a few inches.
   "Go get in that room, you dumbass," F.P. shouted. "Or I will drag you in there by your god damn ear." I give him a daring look, that he returns. I'm not scared of many people, but F.P. is someone you don't wanna mess with. He will do whatever he says he will do. "I swear, my foot will go so far up your ass."
"I am going," I surrender. "But, one day when you're old and Jughead has kids. I'm gonna tell them about this and how mean of an old man you really are."
"Believe me, they will know," Jughead shook his head. "Now come on, Betty said that Y/N is really close and is freaking out because you aren't there." I nod, following them to the elevator. The worst part of all of this was that Veronica was right. The ride seemed to drag as you got closer to the floor. I tapped my fingers against the silver railing that lined the elevator. "You're gonna be a great dad." Jughead placed a hand on my shoulder, I would never tell him this but I liked him. He was smart and a genuinely great guy. He somehow always knew when to say the right things and how to make someone feel better, even if it was by awkward conversation. They walked with me to the room, the door was shut so we couldn't hear anything on the inside. I hold my breath while I opened the door.
"Where the hell have you been?" Cheryl has pure attitude in her voice as she wiped sweat from Y/Ns forehead. "The doctors said that she could be going in any second."
"Sorry," I feel like my whole brain had shifted. "How do you feel?" I sit next to Y/N and grab her chin lightly.
"Like my body is trying to rip itself apart," she cried. "Where have you been?"
"It doesn't matter," I say. "I'm here now, Okay. I'm not leaving again." I wipe away a few tears from her face. "I'm sorry." She shakes her head. "I am, really. I'll explain it later."
"Alrighty," A nurse comes in. She looks over everything and checks Y/N. "I think we're ready to get this baby into the world." She walks out of the room and then comes back with other nurses with Dr Karev. "You ready?" Y/N nods. "Who is staying?"
"He is," She says, her voice was hoarse.
"Alright, we will need the rest of you to wait in the waiting area," Dr Karev says looking over everything.
I follow them out of the room and stop right out the door. They give reassuring looks and Fangs puts a hand on my shoulder, "Go have that baby."
"Good luck," Fred says and F.P. nods at me.
"Don't screw up, String," Cheryl warns before Toni hugs me. I pat her back awkwardly. "Go get in there." I nod before go back into the room and shut the door behind me. They were setting Y/N up and putting her feet in weird metal things, that I hear are called stirrups.
"Well, let's get started then," Dr Karev smiled before pulling his mask on. The birthing process was longer than I thought. But, I stuck through it. I kept her up and breathing. She cried during, which wasn't easy on either of us. After two and a half hours they finally had her stop pushing. "Okay, just breathe now. Would you like to see the baby crowning?"
"No," I say quickly. "Erm, I mean I think we should just ugh get it over." They nod.
"It's normal not to want to see it," Dr Karev said. "Okay, just take deep breaths and let your body do what it wants. He's got a lot of hair." I push her hair back from face and wipe away her sweat and tears.
"You're doing so great, love," I say, trying to encourage her. "It's almost done."
"I want it to be done now," Y/N cried and I nod wiping her face again. "Tell him to hurry the hell up." I laugh.
"Here comes his head," Dr Karev said. It's not long before I hear the sound of his cries. My chest tightens when I hear it. Then before I even get a chance to register his cries they place him on Y/N. He's still crying and so is she. He had a whole head of dark hair and was covered in whatever it was. I feel my own face bet wet with tears. "Congratulations, it's a boy." It was like time had stopped. They wrapped a band around all of your wrists that said Y/N's name.
"Are you crying?" Y/N laughs through her own tears. I shake my head. "You are! God, he's so beautiful. Little baby Sweet Pea." I nod unable to talk. "You're so beautiful, Lexington. That's your name. And we will love you forever. That's your dad. He's kinda mean, but he will love you probably more than anyone ever. And, if you do it right, you can get anything you want from him."
"Probably," I laugh sitting next to them. I just watch them. Y/N's breath was still labored as she continued to cry of joy. He stopped crying and just laid there. He moved a little, kicking his legs sometimes. "That's our baby..." She looks up at me and nods. "Our baby Lexington." That went through my mind a lot. That he was my boy. I was his dad and all I wanted was to protect him from everything bad. I wanted to hold him and tell him that he was worth everything. I wanted to give him the entire world and more. I was so proud just to see him.
"We are gonna take him now and cut the cord," a nurse said. "Would you like to do it?" I nod getting up and it was already clamped. She handed me the scissors and I did what she told me to. Then, they took Lexington and began cleaning him and checking everything.
"Six pounds, five ounces," A nurse said. "Heart rate is at an even hundred." She did something that made him cry and I wanted to see what was wrong, but the other nurse held me back. "We are going to take him to the nursery and bathe him for you then we are gonna give him a little exam. You will have him right after."
"And, we will move you to postpartum room," the other nurse said. "When we get there, I will massage your fundus. Which is the top of your uterus. I'm telling you so you aren't freaked out when I start massaging your belly and it hurts." Y/N nods and the help move her to a wheelchair. The room was larger in size and came with a chair and couch. Y/N was almost immediately taken off all of the IVs and they took her catheter out from the epidural. They came every few minutes to massage her stomach to help break up any clots and prevent stuff. Soon after she got food, she fell asleep. I just watched her. She was so great these last few days and I was so proud.
"I have a baby who wants to see his mommy and daddy," a nurse knocked. "Oh. Looks like he gets to have a little time with daddy. Are you going to do skin to skin? It's a great way to bond with him."
"I hadn't really thought about it," I mutter getting up to look down at my son. "It helps?" She nods. "I think I will..." I slip my shirt off and throw it on the couch.
It was weird without it. She helped me lift him and told me how to hold him. She left shortly after I sat down. I whisper little things to him and I barely even know what I am saying. I didn't know that there was anything like this. Loving something so deeply and never wanting to let it go, at first sight and touch. He was sleeping against me, I could feel every little movement. Eventually, he opens his eyes. He doesn't cry. He just stares. And, I stare back. He was so beautiful. His hand opens and closes against my chest.
"Hi, baby," I say softly. "I'm your dad. I love you so much."
"Your shirt is off," Y/N says tiredly. I laugh. "Can I see him?" I nod getting up slowly and handing him to her. "Have you went to see the others?"
"No, I'll give you some time and go get them," I say and I kiss her.
"What's that?" She laughed.
I shrug, "affection."
"Weird," she says. "Do it again, I liked it." I shake my head laughing before kissing her forehead and Lex's.
"I'll be back," I whisper before leaving the room. I walk out to the waiting room to see everyone waiting. Fangs is the first to see me and he jumps up quickly to make his way over.
"Well?"
"He's perfect," I smile softly. "More than perfect." Fangs hugs me, which usually I would push him off, but I hug him back. I know I still have a tear stained face and didn't care. "He's so great and quiet. Beautiful. I was holding him and we just stared at each other. He didn't cry or move. He just laid on my chest as I talked to him."
"That's so great," Archie smiles. "Congratulations, man. You seem lovestruck already." I nod.
"When can we go see him?" Cheryl asked.
"Right now," I say. "But, be really quiet. He's still getting used to all of the noises and people." They nod. "God, he's so great."