Chapter 22: Candy Love

Candy. Candy. Candy. You're favorite place in the world when you were a kid was Smith's candy shop. You went with your brother all the time. After he passed, you stopped going as frequently. Your parents brought you by a few times. Only to see Mr. Smith, who consoled them for the loss of their son. He would give you free candy all the time. Bringing Sweet Pea and the others there was like being a kid all over again.
"Hey," You smile. "You guys ready to go?"
"Ready to go try a candy named after the asshole?" Jughead sighed. "How come there's never a Jughead burger or something?"
"Who cares who the candy is names after?" Toni asked. "This is important to Y/N and Sweets. You love the place too."
"She has a point, Juggie," Betty smiled. "And, I'm sure Pop will have a nice platter named after you."
"Yeah. Once he can find something that actually fulfills him," Archie joked.
"Jughead is an endless pit," Fangs chuckled. "Don't you even say 'of despair'."
"I wasn't going to say that," Jughead scoffed. "And to answer the previous question. Yes. We are all here and ready to go. Where is the guest of honor anyways?"
   "I'm right here," he said from the hall.
   "How did he know we were talking about him?" Reggie had sarcasm laced in his voice. And as Pea went to answer, Reggie pointed at him as if the answer was written.
   "I'm always the guest of honor," Pea smirked. "Anyone would be lucky to have me in their company."
   "Please. The only thing you bring is your unfortunate beanstalk size and unpleasant attitude," Cheryl yawned. "Honestly, I think the only good thing you bring to any party of people is your ability to disappear."
   "Likewise," He rose an eyebrow. "Why don't we get going. Don't want to keep Mr Smith waiting."
   "Mr Smith? What are we a fifty shades of gross novel? He is called Jon," Reggie gagged. "No one calls him 'Mr Smith'. That's his father."
   "He is a male figure is he not? And, I think he earned the title of 'Mr Smith' after receiving the Candy Shop from his Fathers will," you said as you pushed everyone out. "I hate being late. So, can we get walking. Please."
   Fangs and Pea were walking miles ahead of you and the girls. Reggie and Archie were deep in conversation about this years football team. Jughead walked closely behind Betty and the rest of you.
   "So," Cheryl smiled. "What did Toni and I miss while we were on out rendezvousing."
   "Nothing much..." Betty shrugged.
    "Well, Pea asked me to move in with him after graduation," you say lowly, not wanting a big reaction from the girls.
   "Oh my cuteness!" Veronica clapped. "I cannot believe that the man of solid steel asked you to move in with him."
   "Me either. He doesn't open up like that to people," Toni said. "I'm kinda proud right now."
   "Did you say yes?" Betty asked.
   "Yes. Of course... Why wouldn't I?" You ask looking at the three.
    "It's just soon," Betty shrugged.
    "Don't our thoughts into her head, Elizabeth," Cheryl rolled her eyes. "I am so proud of my little vixen. Your relationship is almost as cute as my own."
   "Are you going to join the Serpents?" Betty asked now. You shrug. You haven't really thought about it. "It's alright if you don't want to. I was off about it too. And look at Cheryl."
   "I know. I know. I just haven't really thought about it," you shrug. "I don't think I could get up in front of everyone and take my clothes off."
   "It's not just about taking off your clothes," Betty giggles. "I mean, sure it used to be about that. But, now it's about showing the men who's boss. We women now have the freedom to make a mans life miserable. And, you getting on that stage. Shows that no matter what is underneath all of your clothes. You are just as strong as they are. Even stronger. Because, let's face it. If the dance was apart of the boys tests... There wouldn't be as many members today."
   "It's still degrading," you say.
   "Oh for sure," they all nod in agreement.
   "Betty does have a point though," Veronica said. "I mean, I am no Serpent. But, the men could never get up on that stage and do that."
   "Fangs could," you and Toni say.
   "That he could," Jughead intervened. "He would have a whole thing planned out. It would be like a strip club. He'd probably even lasso Sweet Pea into do it."
   "He'd have to be drunk."
   "Oh yeah. But, that makes it better. Because, he's tall. So he be like a noodle up there," Jughead was staring off with a smile.
    "Are you secretly in love with my boyfriend?" You ask, louder than expected because you were laughing. Sweet Pea turned to look back at you guys.
   "Which one?" He asked.
   "Jughead," the other three say.
  "I knew it," he smirked. "I told you I'm irresistible."
   "You guys need to bone," Reggie rolled his eyes. "You always are arguing."
    "Wouldn't that say the same for you two?" Veronica pointed between Sweet Pea and Reggie.
   "Hot," You smile at the three. "Right Betts?"
   "Oh yeah," she nods. As we near the store. "We should go out for manny pedis while the get down."
   "Get down?" Fangs chuckled. "You sound like a 10 year old."
    "Have you heard yourself?" She shot back but smiled at him. "Hey! Mr Smith!" Betty smiles at the dark haired man. "I can't wait to try this new candy."
   "Me either," You smile as well. "Tell us about it."
   "I was trying to get a new candy. One that wasn't extremely sweet or like anything else. So, I came up with this sour tacky gum, that has a sweet undertone. It's green. So, I thought Sweet Pea," he explained. "Here.." he went around back and grabbed a bowl of white wrapped balls. Each of you took a piece. As you unwrapped the price and placed it in your mouth. It was extremely sour. You almost spit it out,  but it became sweet quickly. Like a rush. So, you understood why he called it Sweet Pea.
   "Wow! This is really good," Fangs said as he chewed. "It's like that gum from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I'm not turning green, am I?"
   "Unfortunately no," Jughead sighed. "But, wouldn't that be a story?"
    "It would," you all agreed. "Shame."
    "You guys are sick. Really... What kind of mo stars want their friends to turn green. Do you know what I would look like? I would look like the king in Shrek when he dies," Fangs scoffed. "Then, I really wouldn't get a date."
"I think you would look more like Pepe," Toni gave him a thoughtful look.
"I'm glad you all like it," Jon smiled. "It will be on the shelves in a week."
"Can't wait for everyone to have it," you smile back. "It is really good."
"Thank you," he said before tending a customer.
"We need stuff named after us," Toni grumbled now.
"You all will have things named after you," they give you a look. "Jughead, Reggie, and Sweet Pea's children. There will be a Toni and a Fangs. Or a Toni Fang. Or Fangs Toni Jr. Fantoni!" You trail off. "And, Cheryl you have a maple company. Eventually. You and your family may not get a long, but it's your birth right. Now stop your god damn whining."
"Rude much," Cheryl rolled her eyes. "I didn't even say anything."
"And Fangtoni?" Reggie asked. "That is the..."
"Dumbest," Jughead began to finish. "Name. Ever. And his name is Sweet Pea."
"Watch it," Pea warned.
"Alright boy, no need for your testosterone levels to rise," Veronica said. "We know it's a joke."
"Yeah... And, don't make fun of my name. What would you suggest?" You cock an eyebrow. None of them say anything. "Exactly."
   "You know, you've had a lot of attitude lately," Archie pointed out. "It's a whole lot of attitude for such a small girl."
    "I do not have attitude," You scoff.
    "You so do," Betty laughed. "You haven't been able to say one thing without sarcasm to us."
    "She's got a point," Fangs also admitted. "What's up?"
     "Nothing. I think I'm just coming out of my shell more. And, I will try to work on my attitude," You sigh. "Sorry guys."
    "I think you're hanging with Pea too much," Toni laughed. "He's rubbing off on you."
    "I think he's does that intentionally," Reggie smirked.
    "Stop!" You blush and leave the store. They follow behind laughing. "I can't believe that school is already starting so soon... And we're going to be seniors."
    "Way to bring down the group," Cheryl sighed.
    "She's right though," Jughead said. "We don't ever talk about the fact that next year at this time... We probably might not all be together. Veronica going to her school in New York. Reggie will be in Ohio for football. Cheryl and Toni are going god know where..."
    "We will still see each other," Fangs said.
    "Yeah... We will always come back," Toni nods.
    "You guys might. I want to get as far away from this shit hole before it falls," Reggie mumbled. "This place sucks. Guys, it's filled with drama and crime. Sure that's everywhere. But, what small town has this much murder? And usually it's our parents."
   "He also has a point," Betty said. "But, it is home. For most of us."
    "Not for long," Reggie said. "Hiram Lodge will have the whole town eating out of his hand here soon. Filling it with Jingle Jangle and fizzle rocks. I don't want to be here for that."
   "I think we can stop him," Cheryl said. "We stopped my father, Betty's dad, we got FP out of prison. And even stopped the Snake Charmer herself, Penny Peabody. I have faith that we can stop a mafia member from the Sopranos."
   "Me too," Veronica said. "Daddy isn't going to get away with his stunts for long. We are going to win the town back."
   "Reg," you say. "You know we can't do it without your help."
   "Fine. But, when this goes to hell," he began.
    "If," Betty corrects.
   "If this goes to hell. I'm getting out of here. I hope you all do the same," he said.
    "We will," Pea nods. "Now, what are we doing?"
   "Going to get ready for my party. At least I would hope," Cheryl said. "At Thornhill."
    "Oh, right... And, why are you throwing a party?" Jug asked. "Seems kinda stereotypical."
    "T and I just returned from our trip. We are simply celebrating our return," Cheryl rolled her eyes. "You all will be there. Goodbye." She and Toni walk to her car. You give Pea a look, trying not to laugh. One of the good things about not having Cheryl around, was not being bossed around by her.
   "Guess we have a party to attend. Take me home, Archiekins?" Veronica smiled up at the red head.
    "Sure. Betts, need a ride too?" His signature smile set on his face. Archie was never going to be a bad guy. He was basically the knight in shining armor of Riverdale. Pure. He was a lemon, cinnamon roll.
   "I'll see you guys," You smile. "Bye, Reg." They all offer small waves before retreating to their leaving cars. Pea and Fangs went inside the trailer, Pea tugging lightly on your hand to follow. Jughead leaves to his own trailer. "You guys aren't wearing your leather jackets to the pool party are you?"
   "No," they laugh. "That would be ridiculous."
   "Your whole life is a bit ridiculous," you say. "But, I am glad you won't look like your life is falling apart. What are you wearing?"
    "Nothing," Fangs winked as Pea punched his arm. "God, I was joking. I would never show myself off like that to random people."
    "You showed your body off at the Whyte Wyrm for your birthday," You laugh. "You almost stripped. But, luckily for us, Pea had tackled you and made you out your clothes back on."
   "I don't remember that. I do not take responsibility for the actions of my drunk self," Fangs said. "He thinks he belongs in Vegas with the male strippers."
   "He also thinks he can pass out in my bed," you shrug. "You owe me for that. You drooled all over my stuffed bear that I've had since I was seven."
   "Did you wash it?" Pea asked. 
    "Yes. And don't worry, you did not touch it," You laugh. "I'm gonna go change." They throw themselves into conversation as you walk back to Pea's room for your things. There was a box on top of your bag. You've never seen it before. You pick it up slowly examining it. It was a regular cardboard box. Not even a word written on it. But, you slowly open it and take in a breath. It was a ring. One of Pea's rings, that he didn't wear, with a chain. "Hey Pea?"
"Yeah." He yells down the hall. You play with the silver chain with your fingers.
"What's this?" You ask as he finally comes in.
"Oh... Well," he said. "It is a ring that I put on a chain, to give to you. This isn't just a ring though..." He grabs both ends of the chain and carefully placed it around your neck. "This was the ring that my grandfather gave to my grandma. A promise ring sort of. She gave it to me... Before she passed."
"Oh Pea," you say lightly. Unable to find words. "You don't have to... I can't take this from you. It's your grandmother's. Like a family heirloom."
"Well... I hope, that one day. In the far future, just adding that in there. We will be family," he shrugged.
"You're too sweet," you laugh a little. "Guess that's why your name is 'Sweet' Pea." He shook his head. "Thank you, Pea. Really. You spoil me. More than I think anyone has spoiled me for my entire life. And I am a northsider."
"Just gotta make sure I show you how much you mean to me... I know, I am a dick in public. I really love you though," he sighed grabbing your hand. "I swear on that. I don't want to lose you because I do something out in front of people."
You smile up at him placing a hand lightly on his face. Your other hand is holding the ring. You knew that he wasn't the same person when he's in a crowd. You may never understand the macho wall that men put up in public, but you did understand Pea behind closed doors. Though, sometimes you wish that more people seen this side of him. The side that you probably loved the most. You did love all of him, including his anger... But, the love that he still can show... Even though his life has been full of violence and hate. You admired it.